Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions regarding motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz115

Hi!
i'm new here...i need help with motors..
i wanna know how the length and the diameter of the wire affects
the operation of a motor.

for instance..if i want to make a fast motor how i must wind it?
or if i need more torgue?

thank you very much!

P.S i believe i'm asking simple things! ;) :D

Wow you're an impatient little bugger aren't you? :D

Perhaps no one knows.

Well I know the torque and speed will both depend on the core and field strength, a stronger field will give you more torque but lower speed and a weaker field will give a higher speed and less torque.

Why are you building a motor?

It's much easier to buy one, I can understand if it's just for educational purposes but other than that it's pointless.

yes...sorry sometimes and especially when i want to learn something i'm getting a little impatient...well i need to know exclusively for educational perpuses! and yes i'm going to wind a small motor! :D

the very basics are well known to me from the school...but i want to experiment with the motor and make different windings so i can see how it reacts...but before i proceed i need to know what does it do if i use bigger diameter or more windings...etc........ :D :D :D

whiz115 said:
Hi!
i'm new here...i need help with motors..
i wanna know how the length and the diameter of the wire affects
the operation of a motor.

for instance..if i want to make a fast motor how i must wind it?
or if i need more torgue?

thank you very much!

P.S i believe i'm asking simple things! ;) :D

A motor with more wires will draw lower current from the source and will rotate slower than a motor with lower wires but a motor with much lower wires will draw much more current and will rotate with a higher speed and will have more torgue.

Hope these links could help you:
**broken link removed**

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185271

yes...it helped a little... ;)
i understood that voltage gives RPMs and current give torgue...the first site was too complicated for me...from what you told me...i understand that by lowering the length of the wire we draw more current and we get more torgue and speed and the opposite happens if we use higher length...

but what happens with the diameter? :rolleyes:

whiz115 said:
yes...it helped a little... ;)
i understood that voltage gives RPMs and current give torgue...the first site was too complicated for me...from what you told me...i understand that by lowering the length of the wire we draw more current and we get more torgue and speed and the opposite happens if we use higher length...

but what happens with the diameter? :rolleyes:

Sorry I forgot to talk about diameter of the wire.
The thickness of the wire is important to generate a magnetic field...
If you use a wire with higher in diameter you will have a higher magnetic field so you will have more rpm( and overall motor power) too.

Well you should be careful with the number of wires and the dimeter of wires,
a motor with a FEW turns of wire will destroy the brushes of the motor.

the following link is about brushless motors but please read the middle of the page and perhaps you get your response:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back