Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions for flash unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to create a flash ring for my camera using an led array and have a few questions. My first one is going to be super simple so here goes.
Plan is 9v supply, with a simple on off switch, 20 white LEDs in parallel with 450 ohm resistors, using this method i calculate that 1/4 watts of heat dissipation should be ample for a 0.02 ma led

Q1. Does anyone see a problem with this method?
Q2. Is there another method that doesn't require massive heat sink resistors?

Thanks

I want to create a flash ring for my camera using an led array and have a few questions. My first one is going to be super simple so here goes.
Plan is 9v supply, with a simple on off switch, 20 white LEDs in parallel with 450 ohm resistors, using this method i calculate that 1/4 watts of heat dissipation should be ample for a 0.02 ma led

Q1. Does anyone see a problem with this method?

Yes, don't put LED's in parallel - put them in series chains.

I was thinking chains of 4 with a 1.7v forward voltage drop but if my calculation is right I would need 5 x 0.75watt heat sink resistors. At 0.02 amps x 4 x 9 = 0.72 and to change resistor values to 112.5(I'll go to the next value above to be on the safe side)
I could run 5 LEDs but that wouldn't leave much spare voltage for led5 after Vd has been taken into account. I was thinking of adding a 4.4mf (approx) cap to give me 2 seconds to charge for final focusing before taking any photograph as its for macro photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back