Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about relays...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerosrevenge

I purchased a few relays today for a projet I am working on (see post: looking for a switch https://www.electro-tech-online.com...switching-circuit-dc-to-dc-converter-t.12229/).

I cannot seem to find the data sheets for these relays anywhere. One has the voltage indicated on the the relay it is an FRT2-S DC 24V. The others are MRB 20121 (no voltage indicated), and STANDEX J-10972 (no voltage indicated).

I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know the voltage, or a way to determine the voltage, or where I can find the data sheets for any of these relays? (I guess that's 3 questions?! :))

2. Does the relay require that actual voltage in order to function or is that the maximum voltage it can handle?

Thanks to all!

Steve.

I cannot answer your question directly about the coil voltage, but here are some tips that may help.
Relays like power transformers, the physical size determines how much power they will handle, meaning the contacts. As a result the coil is made accordingly. If you measure the resistance of the coil with an ohmmeter and look in a disributor catalogue like mouser for a relay with nearly the same physical dimensions and look for a similar coil resistance. You just might find the answer. The higher the risistance the higher the coil voltage.
Relays like resistors dissipate power in the coil. The coil voltage is generally close to the maximum voltage. Most relays will energize at a reduced voltage, and most will stay energized if once energized at the specified coil voltage and then the coil voltage is reduced, sometimes this can be over 50%. With DC relays the coil current is a direct relationship to ohms law. Coil voltage/coil resistance= coil current. Coil power = Coil voltage x Coil current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back