Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about I2c and devices that can operate on the i2c bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphaai

Hello there,

Just got some quesitons in regards to i2c and devices which are compatible with an i2c bus.

1) When would you use fast mode 400hkhz over standard mode 100khz?
2) I was just reading about the SCL Clock Line and SDA Data Line for I2c
and then just realised that SCLK is the Clock Line for SPI and SDI is the Data Line for SPI
Is that right? I couldnt find anything about SCLK and SDI on i2c so it must be for using SPI.

3) Would anyone know what VLOGIC or /CS is? and what AD0/SDO?
Thanks,

Ben

Update: I think AD0 is supposed to be ADO and I still dont know what ADO is.

Last edited:
Just got some quesitons in regards to i2c and devices which are compatible with an i2c bus.
1) When would you use fast mode 400hkhz over standard mode 100khz?
When you need to transfer more data quickly. Serial flash memory is a good example where I would probably use faster communication. Slower communication is more reliable over long distance and when there are lots of devices in the bus. Some chips support only the slower 100kHz clock. I always use the fastest mode possible with I2C.

2) I was just reading about the SCL Clock Line and SDA Data Line for I2c
and then just realised that SCLK is the Clock Line for SPI and SDI is the Data Line for SPI
Is that right? I couldnt find anything about SCLK and SDI on i2c so it must be for using SPI.
Depends on the chip you are using. Atmel calls I2C serial clock and data lines SCL and SDA respectively. SCK, MOSI, MISO and /SS are SPI bus names (serial clock, master out slave in, master in slave out, slave select).

3) Would anyone know what VLOGIC or /CS is? and what AD0/SDO is?

Datasheet should explain what VLOGIC, /CS, AD0 and SDO are.
My guess would be:
- VLOGIC is supply voltage for your IC logic circuitry
- /CS is Chip Select for SPI bus. The / means that the logic is inverted (0 = true, 1 = false).
- AD0 is analog-to-digital converter 0
- SDO is a data line for SPI bus (Serial Data Out).

What is the chip you are using, or referring to?

Last edited:
Hello there,

Thanks for your response misterT.

Yeah the AD0 according to the datasheet https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/05/PS-MPU-6000A-00_v10.pdf
represents the i2c slave address LSB. I thought the LSB for i2c 8bit addresses was the read and write bit cos
the 8 bit addresses include the read/write bit.

I did wonder what AUX_DA and AUX_CL represented in the datasheet and it looks as if the
chip can act as a master device that can communicate to other i2c devices such as the 3-Axis Digital Output Magnetometer or other sensors along an auxilary bus. Thats how I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back