Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasmah

Hi all

I have a question:

If I connect 2 50 ohm 25w ceramic power resistors in series would they
effectively dissipate 50w and let thru 4.8 amps? (If connected to 120v mains)

Thanks

Jim E.

Last edited:
The resistors in series make a 100 ohm resistance at 50W. For 4.8A to flow then the voltage must be 100 ohms x 4.8A= 480V. The total power dissipation is 4.8A squared x 100 ohms= 2304W and the resistors will blow up!

Hey

Hehe... I'm learning.

Thanks again.

Well I spoke to someone that built a magnetic pulser and what you told me before was correct about the 56 ohm 25w power resistor. I can use one in place of the bulbs he uses a 10ohm 25w but he has alot more capacitors in his design.

I will use that 56ohm 25w and connect a few lamps in series.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jim E.

to be clear, your 100 ohm resistor(s) will pass 1.2 A for about 144 Watts (actually, 144 VA, actual wattage is harder for me to calc). No explosions but maybe a fire.

If he kept all his questions in one topic then you will see that the resistors are used to feed a voltage doubler that charges some capacitors.
So the current in the resistors is for a short duration. No Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back