Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(question) temperature regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxhyhxx

anyone who know how to make a temperature regulator???

problem is:
*Make a logic circuit that control the speed of a fan so that a room will have a constant temperature.

conditions are:
1. simple circuit
2. use flip-flops
3. affordable

thank you in advance...

simple bang-bang hysteresis controller would do

Setup (say via comparator) the thresholds for the temp
Have the output connected (via amp) to the fan so when the upper limit is reached the fan turns off, when the lower limit is reach the fan turns on

Keeping the "temp" within this band

How to do it digitally...
Well not to sure although you could probably use a 74HC14 schmitt ability for the hystersist with enough input conditionally

I am not proposing that you overkill this thing but you need to understand that "constant" is a relative term and with a basic proportional control your room temperature will still fluctuate as your fan speeds up/slows down and as the load in the space changes. The fluctuations may be small enough that it achieves your goal of "constant."

How on earth is a fan going to cool a room? It's electric so it will heat the room slightly.

Fans cool sweaty people, not rooms.

It's like the guy who opens the door of his refrigerator to cool the kitchen.

Maybe if the fan is in an open window and it's freezing outside. Then should it blow in cold air or blow out hot air?

Two fans, two windows and cold outside are needed. :lol:

audioguru said:
Maybe if the fan is in an open window and it's freezing outside. Then should it blow in cold air or blow out hot air?

He never mentioned 'cooling', perhaps he's wanting to heat the room?, perhaps using a fan heater?.

Maybe if the fan is in an open window and it's freezing outside.

Not in the Philippines. If it's freezing outside, so has hell.

use flip-flops

Why? Your instructor may already have one design in mind and any other simpler solution is not allowed?

All in all, a badly defined problem.
Needs a more rigorous specification.

JimB

motion said:
Not in the Philippines. If it's freezing outside, so has hell.
OOps. I didn't notice the country.
I bet its pretty cold about 5,000m above the ground over there.

audioguru said:
How on earth is a fan going to cool a room? It's electric so it will heat the room slightly.

Fans cool sweaty people, not rooms.

It's like the guy who opens the door of his refrigerator to cool the kitchen.

Two fans, two windows and cold outside are needed. :lol:

its true sir, the fan is for the person rather people who enter the room, if a person enter the room, the room temparature will vary so the the circuit (temperature regulator) will automatically on, and regulate the room temperature.

Nigel Goodwin said:
audioguru said:

He never mentioned 'cooling', perhaps he's wanting to heat the room?, perhaps using a fan heater?.

no sir, i want to set a constant or rather a range of temparature. like i said to sir audiogure, this circuit will automatically on in its detect that the temp changed.

Why? Your instructor may already have one design in mind and any other simpler solution is not allowed?[/quote]

may be yes, but that was the challege, like our instructor always saying "I give problems, You solve; I impress, You passed"

OOps. I didn't notice the country.
I bet its pretty cold about 5,000m above the ground over there.[/quote]

hehe...
(sharing gen. info) actually sir, if it is summer in our country (february - may) the temp can raised up to 35 C. rainy season from june to august, sometimes in september. from this season to january, the temp can decrease to 8 C.

A fan by itself won't regulate the temperature of a room. A furnace will heat it if it is too cold and an air-conditioner will cool it if it gets too warm.
Thermostats for temperature sensing and control of a furnace or air-conditioner are mechanical or programmable electronic.

temp reg (continue)

actually sirs,

the temp reg is just part of the project, and im incharge of it. We (with my group) are making a "sensor operated room" using those conditions.

i found this info from the net

i just want your comments...

thanks again...

Attachments

• temp_sensor.doc
    330 KB · Views: 188
I've never seen a room full of people with a big heatsink on top of the room. It must be a pretty big fan.
My spelling-checker lit up on every 5th word.

You will need to define the scope or breadth of the problem to be sure that include all of the requirements.

One possible setup for the problem - you have a room that has a cooling load that always exceeds the losses thru the walls to the outside. This is true of modern office and manufacturing areas. In order to ventilate and cool the room you would supply varing amounts of conditioned air to the space. By varying the amount of conditioned air the temperature of the room can be adjusted. The amount of air delivered is determined by the fan speed. The is quite the common arrangement in commercial and industrial spaces.

I don't know if you are allowed to define the problem or if it has been done for you and you've not mentioned it because you felt it was not relevant. It does matter and would help us to help you.

stevez said:
I don't know if you are allowed to define the problem or if it has been done for you and you've not mentioned it because you felt it was not relevant. It does matter and would help us to help you.

I dont get much sir what u min in the line "or if it has been done for you and you've not mentioned it because you felt it was not relevant" but w/ my understanding, we can define the problem as long as we cover the conditions.

thank you sir

If you are allowed to define the problem I would suggest that you use the example that I described. Variable air volume is a common method for adjusting the amount of cooling or heating supplied to an occupied space. Many real life situations are such that cooling to a greater or lesser degree is always required - an internal office with lights and computers almost never needs any heat. Limiting the problem to cooling only is simpler.

Good luck with your project.

Re: temp reg (continue)

xxhyhxx said:
actually sirs,

the temp reg is just part of the project, and im incharge of it. We (with my group) are making a "sensor operated room" using those conditions.

i found this info from the net

i just want your comments...

thanks again...

may i know what is the series of the P-MOSFET??, or any other suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back