Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question regarding an external xtal…

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbu

Question regarding an external xtal…

The attachment contains part of a schematic that contains a MCU that has an external xtal. If someone has the time, can you explain how the values of the two parallel capacitors are determined?

Thanks

Attachments

• Xtal.jpg
    Xtal.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 187
gramo,

Thanks for the help!

Will a ceramic resonator be accurate enough - I'm using it for an electric motor tachometer? I would like the tachometer to be as accurate as I can make it.

I have a FOXLF100-20 oscillator on hand – will it be okay?

**broken link removed**

https://foxonline.com/LFSERIESxytal49u.htm

Gramo, ceramic resonators are less accurate and stable than crystals, not more. The crystal will work just fine. If you need to fine tune the exact frequency of the crystal you can use trimmer caps, but calibrating the whole setup can be a bit finacky.

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
Gramo, ceramic resonators are less accurate and stable than crystals, not more. The crystal will work just fine. If you need to fine tune the exact frequency of the crystal you can use trimmer caps, but calibrating the whole setup can be a bit finacky.

Yes, crystals are FAR more accurate and stable than ceramic resonators, the capacitors used on the crystal are very non-critical - anything from 10pF to 47pF usually works fine.

Why do people use ceramic resonators then?

They certainly aren't much cheaper than crystals so why bother?

Might just be ease of use.. 3 components in one.

Found a bit of info on the two here

**broken link removed**

This site has some info on ceramic resonators as well

https://hem.passagen.se/communication/ceramic.html

A quote from the above site
The ceramic resonator is often used instead of crystal because of it's lower price. The frequency accuracy is not as good as a crystal but in many application the accuracy is not critical.

Hero999 said:
Why do people use ceramic resonators then?

They certainly aren't much cheaper than crystals so why bother?

But they are cheaper (certainly in production quantities) - and for many applications the extra accuracy of a crystal isn't required. Personally I've never bought one, but I have used them occasionally, taking them out of old TV's - it saves you looking out a couple of small capacitors!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back