Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question on using tmr2 to generate interrupt every 5ms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_ryan

dear all,

(1)if using a 4mhz quartz, and using no prescalar or post scalar, and if i want to interrupt every 5ms, that wld requird 5ms/1us = 5000 instructions.. 5000 = 0x1388 and pr2 register only 8 bits so unable to hold such a big value...

(2)So with the same configurations but with a prescale of 1:16, this will give me (1/(4*prescaler)) * CLK freq = (1/(4*16)) * 4Mhz = 62500Hz or 16us per machine instruction...To interrupt every 5ms, i will need 5ms/16us = 312.5 , again too big for the pr2 register which is 8 bits..

(3)So my question is how do i use postscaler? if i am using both post and pre scal, will i be able to make the value smaller so that i can write to pr2?what is the general way to calculate the value i need to write to pr2 reg if i am using both prescalar and post scalar. Is there a maths like formula as i wrote in part (2) that explains how to get the value if i am using pre and post scaler??

I hope those who have an idea of what i am saying can sound me out..thanks

ryan_ryan said:
dear all,

(1)if using a 4mhz quartz, and using no prescalar or post scalar, and if i want to interrupt every 5ms, that wld requird 5ms/1us = 5000 instructions.. 5000 = 0x1388 and pr2 register only 8 bits so unable to hold such a big value...

(2)So with the same configurations but with a prescale of 1:16, this will give me (1/(4*prescaler)) * CLK freq = (1/(4*16)) * 4Mhz = 62500Hz or 16us per machine instruction...To interrupt every 5ms, i will need 5ms/16us = 312.5 , again too big for the pr2 register which is 8 bits..

(3)So my question is how do i use postscaler? if i am using both post and pre scal, will i be able to make the value smaller so that i can write to pr2?what is the general way to calculate the value i need to write to pr2 reg if i am using both prescalar and post scalar. Is there a maths like formula as i wrote in part (2) that explains how to get the value if i am using pre and post scaler??

I hope those who have an idea of what i am saying can sound me out..thanks

This sets tmr2 to give 1mS interrupts, you can increase it 5mS by increasing the PR2 value to "D'125'-1", I've used it at "D'250'-1" to give 10mS interrupts for a clock display.

Code:
; Set up Timer 2 to generate interrupts every 1 ms.  Since we're assuming an instruction
; cycle consumes 1 us, we need to cause an interrupt every 1000 instruction cycles.
; We'll set the prescaler to 4, the PR2 register to 25, and the postscaler to 10.  This
; will generate interrupts every 4 x 25 x 10 = 1000 instruction cycles.  
; ***********************************************************************************

clrf    TMR2            ; Clear Timer2 register

bsf     STATUS, RP0     ; Bank1
        bsf     INTCON,PEIE     ; Enable peripheral interrupts
        clrf    PIE1            ; Mask all peripheral interrupts except
        bsf     PIE1,TMR2IE     ; the timer 2 interrupts.
        bcf     STATUS, RP0     ; Bank0

clrf    PIR1            ; Clear peripheral interrupts Flags
        movlw   B'01001001'     ; Set Postscale = 10, Prescale = 4, Timer 2 = off.
        movwf   T2CON

bsf     STATUS, RP0     ; Bank1
        movlw   D'25'-1         ; Set the PR2 register for Timer 2 to divide by 25.
        movwf   PR2
        bcf     STATUS, RP0     ; Bank0

bsf     INTCON,GIE      ; Global interrupt enable.
        bsf     T2CON,TMR2ON    ; Timer2 starts to increment

Use the clock period, as Nigel says, not the frequency and you'll have no problem...

If you use a prescaler value of 4 (4-usec) and a postscale value of 5:1 (20-usec), then a PR2 value of 250 (operand 250-1) will yield interrupts every 5,000 usecs...

Good luck... Regards, Mike - K8LH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back