Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

funngun012

Hello, everyone, I am planning to build a robot which can search the object and find it, also show its postion on a map. I try to use the matlab for mapping, can anyone give me some information about matlab mapping? thank u very much.......

The only project that I have done was mapping of robots environment and obstacles in Java. The robot used its sensors, image processing (wireless video feed from web cam mounted facing forward on the robot) and encoders (encoders were somewhat flaky) to describe it's position within a maze and to detect positions of objects. Then the maze was drawn on the screen with positions of objects and robot. Although I worked with PIC and electronics side of the robot, some other members in my group worked on Java based image processing and mapping. (e.g. school project)

Anyway to get to your problem:

What you will need is to use sensors and encoders to collect all the position data and store it on your PIC. Then you can transfer that data to a C++ or Java program. I am not sure if Matlab can interface directly with the PIC but I know that it can interface with no problem to a C++ or Java program through a DLL. (There is alot of information on the web about this DLL interfacing).

Once you have your information in Matlab, you can create a matrix describing the approximate area of the robots environment. From there on you can use the sensors and encoder information to fill out that matrix with values. (each value can indicate a type of object). The bigger the matrix the more precise the mapping.

Anyway I hope that some of this might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back