Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on finding a 24vdc power supply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinAlaska

I have a motor that is rated for 24vdc. I want to test it out and see it's speed and torq it has.

The problems I don't have any power supply that is 24vdc.

I have a lot of those standard electronic power supplies to spare but nothing close to 24vdc. Probably 4 12vdc and numerous smaller ones as well.

Does anyone have any recommondations on this. I live in an area that limits my purchasing power. If I was not rushed I would order something. I have a sears, wallmart, radio shack etc but not to many other places.

Any ideas on getting a 24vdc for this motor. If I can get a plug in power over a battery charge that would be best.

Thank you very much. I know I tend to ask some odd questions at times.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

You might be able to find a "wall wart" at a thrift store or used computer store that will output 24 volts at a few amps. Also, a bi-polar +/- 12 volts supply will supply 24 from end-to-end.

Laptop supplies and printer supplies are frequently close to 24v.

I have a motor that is rated for 24vdc. I want to test it out and see it's speed and torque it has.

Any idea as to how much current @ 24 volts to run the motor under its rated load? Depending on current required you may be able to just place a few 12 V supplies you have in series.

Ron

How big is the motor?, generally a 24V motor is going to be pretty big and powerful - else why make it 24V?.

Easiest option is probably a couple of car batteries in series to try it.

Hi Kevin,
There should be a plate with the motor spec's on it somewhere, take a pic and upload it here. That will give us an idea of what power it will need.

Cheers Bryan

Find 2 cars and a set of jump leads. Do not let the metal of the cars touch anything, especially not the other car.

I am assuming, and I guess that it isn't too big an assumption, that one or both of the cars has rubber tyres.......

Connect one of the jump leads from the + on one battery to the - on the other. Do not connect the other jump lead to anything. There will be 24 V from the unconnected -ve to the unconnected -ve.

You could just borrow the batteries and put them in series.

Last edited:
I got a 0 - 36V, 0 - 5A, Lab quality linear bench power supply on eBay for $75 plus shipping. Sure, it was made in the 60s or 70s. But the spec for ripple voltage is about twice as good as the $150 new supplies I see being sold, which in addition to having a noisier output, dont make it to 36V or 5A.

That being said, if you have a very large collection of batteries you could put something together. 19 rechargeable AAs would be the right voltage, or about 15 Alkalines, or 6 x 3.7V Li-Ion batteries, etc, Though you may need to do that in multiples based on Amperage. 2 car batteries would seem to be the most obvious though.

Also, I have read the manuals on a few power tools. They have a cord that plugs straight into a wall outlet, but the internal motor is 24V DC. So, you may have what you need on the inside of a dremel, drill, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back