Question on finding a 24vdc power supply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinAlaska

I have a motor that is rated for 24vdc. I want to test it out and see it's speed and torq it has.

The problems I don't have any power supply that is 24vdc.

I have a lot of those standard electronic power supplies to spare but nothing close to 24vdc. Probably 4 12vdc and numerous smaller ones as well.

Does anyone have any recommondations on this. I live in an area that limits my purchasing power. If I was not rushed I would order something. I have a sears, wallmart, radio shack etc but not to many other places.

Any ideas on getting a 24vdc for this motor. If I can get a plug in power over a battery charge that would be best.

Thank you very much. I know I tend to ask some odd questions at times.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

You might be able to find a "wall wart" at a thrift store or used computer store that will output 24 volts at a few amps. Also, a bi-polar +/- 12 volts supply will supply 24 from end-to-end.

Laptop supplies and printer supplies are frequently close to 24v.

I have a motor that is rated for 24vdc. I want to test it out and see it's speed and torque it has.

Any idea as to how much current @ 24 volts to run the motor under its rated load? Depending on current required you may be able to just place a few 12 V supplies you have in series.

Ron

How big is the motor?, generally a 24V motor is going to be pretty big and powerful - else why make it 24V?.

Easiest option is probably a couple of car batteries in series to try it.

Hi Kevin,
There should be a plate with the motor spec's on it somewhere, take a pic and upload it here. That will give us an idea of what power it will need.

Cheers Bryan

Find 2 cars and a set of jump leads. Do not let the metal of the cars touch anything, especially not the other car.

I am assuming, and I guess that it isn't too big an assumption, that one or both of the cars has rubber tyres.......

Connect one of the jump leads from the + on one battery to the - on the other. Do not connect the other jump lead to anything. There will be 24 V from the unconnected -ve to the unconnected -ve.

You could just borrow the batteries and put them in series.

Last edited:
I got a 0 - 36V, 0 - 5A, Lab quality linear bench power supply on eBay for $75 plus shipping. Sure, it was made in the 60s or 70s. But the spec for ripple voltage is about twice as good as the $150 new supplies I see being sold, which in addition to having a noisier output, dont make it to 36V or 5A.

That being said, if you have a very large collection of batteries you could put something together. 19 rechargeable AAs would be the right voltage, or about 15 Alkalines, or 6 x 3.7V Li-Ion batteries, etc, Though you may need to do that in multiples based on Amperage. 2 car batteries would seem to be the most obvious though.

Also, I have read the manuals on a few power tools. They have a cord that plugs straight into a wall outlet, but the internal motor is 24V DC. So, you may have what you need on the inside of a dremel, drill, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…