Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question on electrical safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark S.

I am reading a text with the following paragraph

"Also, voltages lower than 30 can be dangerous if they are enough to induce an unpleasant
sensation, which may cause you to jerk and accidently come into contact across a higher voltage
or some other hazard. I recall once working on a automobile on a hot summer day. I was wearing
shorts, my bare leg contacting the chrome bumper of the vehicle as I tightened battery connections.
When I touched my metal wrench to the positive (ungrounded) side of the 12 volt battery, I could
feel a tingling sensation at the point where my leg was touching the bumper. The combination of
firm contact with metal and my sweaty skin made it possible to feel a shock with only 12 volts of
electrical potential."

can someone please explain how the above scenario results in an electric shock when the guy is only in contact with with positive side of the battery.

Thanks Mark S.

my bare leg contacting the chrome bumper of the vehicle as I tightened battery connections

It was a hot summer day and his leg may have had some perspiration on it. Often when we perspire it contains salt. Therefore leg on chrome bumper (conductive bumper) to positive battery terminal. Minor shock or as said feel a tingle sensation.

Ron

The guys leg was touching the metal body of the car, which is connected to the negative side of the battery. When he touched the positive side of the battery with the wrench, he got shocked.

Thanks guys I did'nt realize that the body of the car was connected to the negative side of the battery. Makes sense now

Cheers Mark S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back