Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on a modem receiver using MC13135

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickagian

Hallo to everybody! I would like some help with the following schematic of a 56k modem receiver, which uses the MC13135 chip. Unfortunately I do not know a lot about these kind of circuits and I was given this one, to analyze its operation. I have studied the Motorola datasheet of the chip -and that of the MC145162, which is also used- but I have still 3 basic questions (perhaps a little bit stupid too :oops: :oops: )

1)what is the purpose of the filter (?) consisting of L11, R37 and C32?
2)why is the frequency of the IF filter, connected to the 2nd MIXER output, at 448kHz? Is there any special reason for this specific frequency?
3)what is the PLL MC145162 exactly used for? Couldn`t we just use a simple circuit whith a crystal for the LO`s?

Anybody who knows something of the above, please give me a hint! Thanks...

Attachments

• modem_receiver.jpg
    modem_receiver.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,489
1 These components are for the "quadrature decoder" to demodulate the FM signal.

2 448kHz? beats me. I would have expected 455khz (10.7Mhz first IF - 10.245Mhz for the 2nd LO).

3 The PLL allows the receiver to be switched to different frequencies, without the expense of a crystal for each frequency.

JimB

I have one more-last question!! What is the transistor MPF102 used for? Is it just an amplifier? Is that true? (Whenever these L`s are used, I am really confused!! :? )
Thanx in advance!

nickagian said:
I have one more-last question!! What is the transistor MPF102 used for? Is it just an amplifier? Is that true? (Whenever these L`s are used, I am really confused!! :? )
Thanx in advance!

Yes, it's an amplifier, but more importantly though it's a buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back