Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question from an amateur

Status
Not open for further replies.

shekky

hey guys.

i have a huge problem. i blew up my car amplifier. it is two "controllers"
i dont know what they do or if i can replace them.

here are the numbers: pic16c710-0479 and ds1267-100

if you can give me any advice on what they do and if i can easily replace them, i would be in your debt.

thank you

The DS1267 is a dual digital potentiometer chip from Maxim/Dallas.
**broken link removed**

You should be able to order one in an electronics store and just replace it...

The Pic16C710 however is a bigger problem. It's a microcontroller, so it functions according to it's software programming. You'll need to order a replacement from your amp manufacturer, specifically programmed for that amp model.

by just buying a pic16c710 you'll get a blank one, wich does nothing...

thanks for your help.

this means im totally screwed. the amp is orion and they dont help their customers at all.

Sure they help- they'll sell you a new one!

If they didn't "code protect" that PIC, you could find another amp of the exact same revision and clone the chip. But it's dicey that you'd find one and unlikely they'd have left it unprotected.

Realistically, these components are not in the power stage, that would have been a more straightforward repair. If they're visibly damaged, then the 5V logic supply was probably fried, so everything fed off that line could be damaged, visible or not.

two control chips blew and a resistor..i checked everything else.

its a somple amp, but has no protection at all

shekky said:
two control chips blew and a resistor..i checked everything else.

its a somple amp, but has no protection at all

What do you mean by 'blew'?, assuming these two chips have gone, something very nasty has happened to the amplifier - two chips wouldn't just fail at the same time, and certainly PIC's are extremely reliable.

As already suggested, a strong possibility is the 5V regulator, puting the full 12V on the chips - or connecting power to it the wrong way round?.

there are 4 rca jacks.
2 inputs and 2 out to another amp.
stupidly i was connecting them while it was powered up.
one of the cables i was connecting touched the wrong rca
POOF!

a chunk blew right of the chip

samcheetah said:
which chip blew off???

if its the PIC then u should post a picture of it. i have never heard or seen a chunk from a chip being blown out. i would love to see some snaps of it.

I've seen PLENTY! of chips with pieces blown off 8)

But never a PIC, or any other low power chip - it's usually output chips, or PSU chips.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I've seen PLENTY! of chips with pieces blown off 8)

So have I, too close actually, some piece of it flew straight into my eye :!:
So remember, if you think there's a chanse something might blow, wear glasses. :)

i blew one too, when i was experimenting with the PIC16F877's internal A/D Function, i thought i used 3.65V at the A/D pins I selected. then suddenly, the PIC blew off!! when I looked at the voltage supply, it was set at 36.5V. my stupidity :oops: :oops: :oops:

Unless you can get the manufacturer (or a service dealer) to get you a replacement pic, programmed for that amp model, there aint much you can do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back