Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about switching transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpsonss

Hi,

From what i know for transformer, there is coil winding inside. If i use a DMM and turn to short-circuit testing mode and then i measure two of leg from the secondary side.If it is short circuit,is it means that it is from a same winding?

For example, if leg 1 and leg 2 is short circuit. So is it similar to the diagram below?

(
(
(

Last edited:
If you measure across two wires connected to the same coil, you'll get a finite resistance. If the wires are connected to different coils, you'll get infinite resistance.

Hi BrownOut

i'm using a DMM. and then i turn it to 20M ohm, then i measure across two wires it shows 0.00 but with another two it shows 1. is it means that 1 is infinite resistance? if it is true, why for the first try i get 0.00 ohm but not a value? is it the coil for that particular switching is too high?

thank you.

A transformer winding may be anywhere from 0.001 to 50 ohms depending on many factors. Very small transformers (and wall warts) primary resistances are even higher.

A reading of 1 (without any zeros) (some meters blink the 1) means infinite. A meter reading of 0.00 ohm is very likely on a secondary winding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back