Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krauth

hello im new here and i didnt know how else to write that

im making a mask which will have leds in his eyes and because of that i wont be able to see whats happening infront of me so i wanted to ask im pretty much new in all this and i was curious is there any circular screens that i can connect to a small camera that i will attach to the center top of the mask to be able to see what will go infront of me without damaging my eyes is this possible?

Hi Krauth,

Greetings to Israel. Which part are you from. If you put it next to 'Location' on your user page it will show in the box at the left of your posts.

spec

Can't suggest any screen, but I think that even if you found one and attached a lens it would be so close to your eye that the image would be out of focus. Instead, I'd make a dummy eye from a circular one-way 'mirror' (aluminised plastic?) and attach a tiny SMD LED to the centre.

Last edited:
Wireless video goggles are worn by pilots of radio controlled drones or airplanes so they see what the camera transmits and they are "in the pilot's seat".
They are sold in hobby stores.

Attachments

• video goggles.png
    video goggles.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 183
UPDATE of 2016_11_21: In view of the feedback on this topic from other members I now see that the adverse comments about 'Location' were genuine and not malicious.

Because of this I have updated my post below.

spec
thank you for your concern but i dont think my location is anyhow related to my question :p
If you did not want to put your location in the window next to your post that is fine- just say so, but you did put your country in your user profile for anyone to see.

As to your location not being related to your question, that is not the case.

Displaying your location in the window at the left of your posts helps members put your position in context in terms of: language, culture, mains voltage, safety standards and most of all what component markets you can access. For example it would be little use giving you a link to a piece of equipment to do your job from a distributor in the USA. Also, there would be futile recommending a piece of equipment that cost $100US when you may be from a poor local and $100US may represent a year's income.

spec

Last edited:
FWIW, I am mostly in agreement with spec on the location point.
OP's almost invariably provide such scant information regarding a problem/part required,then once the teeth-pulling questions from respondents have been answered (reluctantly) the result tends to be "I can't get that part in my location", "I'm on a budget", "that is too expensive here" etc.

Where I disagree, is Jon's liking the OP's post being viewed as "irresponsible at the best and vindictive at the worst". I personally feel that is a bit of an over-reaction and is unnecessary. I fully understand the usefulness of a members location, but there seems to be a bit of a crusade lately.

This is purely my opinion of course and can be taken, or disregarded.

Kind regards.

Hi Mickster,

Your comments are valued and appreciated.

I fully understand the usefulness of a members location, but there seems to be a bit of a crusade lately.
Yes, it has been a crusade by me. In fact, as I have said before, I would like to see 'Location' filled out as a default on ETO, but allow opting out for those who wish to decline.

I would really like to understand the implication of your statement above. To be direct the policy of welcoming a new member and suggesting that they display their location with their posts is my approach, and I am surprised and concerned that you seem to have an issue with it. Could you expand on that because if it is a problem I would like to know.

Like many members on ETO. I do my best to answer questions as fully and constructively as possible and the first thing I do is to find out where a person asking a question is from, for the reasons already outlined. Displaying the location is not only for my benefit but also for the benefit of others answering questions. And I suggest that it has been a great help.

As an aside, it is quite interesting the different reactions you get about displaying 'Location'. Most people welcome the idea, and fill in 'Location', others simply ignore the welcome and suggestion and continue with their I want, I want , I want style. And a very few are downright suspicious. You can almost categorize the response by area, with the Australians/New Zealanders being the most outgoing and helpful. Incidentally, I see that you display 'Location'.:)

spec

Last edited:
hi,
I feel that if an OP does not wish to disclose his location, he should not be pestered by his fellow members to do so, especially on his opening post.

Occasionally we need to know, when the OP is asking for supply sources.

E

hi,
I feel that if an OP does not wish to disclose his location, he should not be pestered by his fellow members to do so, especially on his opening post.

Occasionally we need to know, when the OP is asking for supply sources.

E

I agree that the OP should not be forced to fill in location but I don't pester anyone Eric. If the OP does not want to fill in location no one is pressurizing him. Also, many of the OPs say how helpful my posts are, including the information about filling in location (I only include that as evidence, not to show off). And in most cases they simply do not know about Location- it is not obvious.

In the vast majority of cases it is important to know what an OPs location is, if you intend to be specific and accurate with your replies as opposed to being dismissive, condesending, saying it is all too difficult, or give reams of general advice, very often so technical that the OP has no chance of understanding what is being said. Then there are the replies that describe what the person has achieved, rather than answering the question.

Then there are the piggy-back critics- my favorite type.:arghh:

The way that OPs questions are answered is a big subject, but welcoming a new member and explaining how to fill in location is a good approach in my opinion. Also, it is a very minor aspect and simply not in the order of things compared to other areas concerning replies.

I do not understand your point of view or your choice of words- is that you Eric?:eek:

Just ask yourself one question, why do you think I ask about location?

spec

PS 'Posts on ETO' would be a great thread for discussion- but some feathers would fly, no-doubt. Do you have any idea how ETO and other technical forums are viewed by the general public? I have a few incites from years of following them, from PMs from members and from the views of fellow engineers.

Last edited:
thank you everyone :D its alright i dont mind putting my location and yes i dont know where to get parts and they do cost alot that is all true and i cant get that part in my location haha so ill just have to ride google untill i find it and i understand spec im just used to forums that gets the topic closed or gets you banned for getting side tracked and off topic sorry if my reply offended you i just meant that topics like that wouldve been best to be sent privately

and thanks to the person above me who suggested the video glasses i forgot totally fogot such thing existed and i would like to ask do i have to buy complete glasses and take them apart for my enjoyment or can i buy the lenses and the small camera just wondering what is cheaper and which option has more variaty if i could get a "ski mask" sort of display that would be amazing but normal glasses lenses can do ok

I do not understand your point of view or your choice of words- is that you Eric?:eek:
Just ask yourself one question, why do you think I ask about location?
hi S,
Yes it is me.
My choice of words is from a personal observation of reading a great number of your posts asking the OP to disclose his location.
Why you ask about location, when in most cases it not relevant to answering the OP's query is IMHO intrusive and unnecessary.

I don't care about the Nationality or Country of any member, we are an International Forum and as such, if I can help an OP I will.
I only ask a for a location when the OP is asking 'where can I get this or that'

If was important that a member had to disclose his location it would be in the T&C's of ETO.

E

hi S,
Yes it is me.
My choice of words is from a personal observation of reading a great number of your posts asking the OP to disclose his location.
Why you ask about location, when in most cases it not relevant to answering the OP's query is IMHO intrusive and unnecessary.
Hmm. That is illuminating. I had no idea it was causing concern.

I don't care about the Nationality or Country of any member, we are an International Forum
That is not connected with the discussion. But just for the record my view is the same as yours.

If was important that a member had to disclose his location it would be in the T&C's of ETO.
It is important. Saying that if this and if that normally leads to a fallacy by indirection. In this case it is a circular argument.

spec

guys please can we go back to my topic? :)

the question i asked a few posts ago is it possible to get the parts seperately? a very small camera and the lenses (depending on my mask) for example a ski mask
or do i need to find a product that looks like it and take it apart?

Read the T&C's, it is not mandatory to disclose your location when registering with ETO, if it was important the Owners/Administration would include such a clause in the T&C's.

Krauth
You are correct, I am sorry for high-jacking your Thread

Eric

************************************************************************************************************************
Hi Kruth,

There are a number of ways of doing what you want, but it all boils down to cost and how much work you intend to do.
(1) Build a system from basic electronic modules. Then do the mechanical assembly yourself.
(2) Configure a system from of-the-shelf standard units
(3) Buy an off-the-shelf system

(1) This could could comprise a camera, an MPU board, and a couple of small LCD displays. The cost of the modules would be around $40US
(2) This approach would use a mobile phone (cell phone) as the camera and a pair of video glasses. Assuming the phone were free (because you have one) The cheapest pair of video glasses I could find are around $60US.
(3) An off-the shelf system would cost around $300US upwards.

Of course, you could always mix and match: perhaps an MCU and camera feeding budget video glasses or even just a camera feeding the video glasses directly. Basic cameras are not too expensive starting at around $20US upwards.

Just some thoughts.:)

spec

Last edited:
hi,
Is there space behind the mask to mount a standard mobile phone that has a video camera option.
A small hole in the mask, perhaps in the mouth or nose section, that the mobile phone lens could look thru.?

E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back