Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about potential divider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetlegs6

Hi there,

I have a circuit with a 12v input, and a series of low-current devices. There are two pairs of these devices on seperate circuits switched by a SPDT switch.

I've put a pair of resistors from one output of the switch to the 0v line, and put a line from between these two resistors to the other output on the switch (So some power is given to one when either is on).

My only concern is current. In total, the devices being powered by the half-voltage the potential divider gives is drawing about 319mA (approx. 25). The resistors being used are the bog standard 470 ohm ones that are used on each of the devices - and I think they only have a current of 25mA.

Is this a big problem in potential dividers? I dont really know much about them.

If so, can I put several of these resisitors in parallel on each end and help spread the current out? I know this will increase the output voltage but I don't really care that much.

Thanks guys :D

That's what voltage regulators are for. The problem is, as you change the load from one branch of your voltage divider it will change the ratio of the entire circuit. If you wish to achieve different voltages from one power source, always use voltage regulators.

Are there are components specifically you'd recommend to drop from 12 to say... 6v?

I've planned projects like this before and I know other people have been very particular as to what component to use...

If you don't, rough idea of price and anything else I should know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back