Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about passive filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

i have a question about RC highpass filter and LR lowpass filter. I attached a diagram. the top one is high pass RC. the bottom one is low pass LR. this is in reference to basic speaker crossover. My question is, can the 8 ohms of resistance of the speaker itself take the place of R1? or does the speaker go in parallel with the resistance of R1? thanks

Attachments

• Crossover.jpg
    Crossover.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 171
Hi,

You dont normally use a resistor in parallel with the speaker because it eats up power.

A series capacitor feeding a tweeter to ground is a very simple highpass filter with a gradual slope. Low frequencies are not attenuated much.
A Tweeter is fragile and can be destroyed by low frequencies from a simple filter.

A series inductor feeding a woofer to ground is a very simple lowpass filter with a gradual slope. High frequencies are not attenuated much.
A woofer sounds awful when producing high frequencies.

These simple filters are "first-order". An LC second-order filter has twice the attenuation of unwanted frequencies and a third-order filter is 3 times better.
Here is a good article about a passive crossover network: **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back