Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about microswitches :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippogeek

Hi all,

Brand new to forum, respectfully asking for some guidance...

I need to toggle 2 wheelchair gearmotors (24vdc, 8A constant, 24A momentary) ON and OFF with microswitches that will be mechanically actuated by radio-control servo arms. My questions:

1. Can I use AC microswitches on a DC application? It seems like practically all the MSs out there are AC and are designed for toggling signals (in the mA range) as opposed to "power-on" applications.

2. Since AC power is typically of high voltage, can I run a switch rated at say 115VAC on 24VDC, but at a higher amperage (24A)?

3. Do I make any sense whatsoever? :roll:

Thanks to anyone willing to shed some light,

Jason

Hi zippogeek

Microswitches for both AC and DC are typical marked like 16 AmpAC 0.3 AmpDC this is because there is a problem when you open (brake up) a DC current. The DC will arc and burn the contacts in the M switch.

Ante :roll:

Taking from Russlk solution you could use the radio reciever to directly gate the mosfet switches possibly eliminating the need for the servo
motor altogether..

The microswitches can control some relays cheapest are automotive relays. There is perhaps another problem to take care of. When switching on a motor like this the current is very high especially if there is a mechanical load involved. Are you sure you want to just switch on and off, not having any kind of regulation of the rpm.
BDW, 24Volts automotive relays are used in trucks and busses.

Ante :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back