Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about lithium batteries, will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilykit

I need to replace an old rechargeable battery pack in my 20 year old laptop. The old ones were 2 cells of 3v rechargeable lithium with 3 wires: red to + of first cell, white to the junction between - of first cell and + of second cell (reference for recharging I guess), and black to - of second cell. At best I can figure out, it has max current of 150mA total per cell

As the battery was odd and old and replacement would be close to $20 a cell, I thought I'd try and more generic rechargeable battery. But a 3v rechargeable lithium is rather hard to find and some of them are huge, like 5/4A.

Could I theoretically use a more common 3.7v lithium battery, place a pair of silicon diode to induce a 1.4v drop from the + of first cell plus another diode from the junction to the white wire to get .7v drop? Would it still work or would the battery cause trouble not getting full charge?

Plan B: use regular non-rechargeable battery and somehow block recharging. Non-rechargeable usually have capacity at around 2000mA and would last a long time but it seems like I'd have to replace it maybe every month?

If either of that won't work, what can I do? Or where can I get 3v rechargeable lithium 150mA or more, preferably with solder tab, for a lot more reasonable price? Space is not an issue, I can tuck it in where the normal battery brick used to sit, as the laptop is not going to be portable at all and I don't want to invest over $150 for an aftermarket battery. The laptop is more for novelty use than for on road use or something.

A modern"'3.7V" Lithium rechargeable battery cell is 4.2V when it is fully charged. I don't think they were ever only 3.0V.
I still have the two-cells in parallel Lithium battery from my daughter's first cell phone (it is about 16 years old) and it is marked "3.6V".
I have some old (15 to 17 years old) Lithium rechargeable batteries from laptops and portable DVD players and they use 18650 "3.7V" lithium cells.

Hobby stores sell rechargeable Li-po batteries that have wires with a connector. Maybe a 2-cell one will work with a diode in series with each cell. But if it over-charges then it could catch on fire.

Why not just make an AC-powered power supply? My local thrift shops sell AC wall-warts and AC-powered bricks (that are too big/too powerful to be packaged as wall-warts) for $1 to $3...

You can either find one that puts out the total voltage (and create the tap), or find two that put out the individual cell voltages, and hook them in series.

I would be surprised if the max current drain is only 150mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back