Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about IR Remote Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

taengi

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about IR, could anyone kindly give me some idea?

1. Does anyone know any good website that provides thorough tutorial about IR transmitter and receiver stuff?

2. I wanted to build one but seems completely clueless and undecided of whether use already available remote controller like SONY, or generate my own signal? which is less complicated?

3. Is it possible to have more than one signal to be transmited?

4. Is it possible to have bidirection trasmision and receiving? like one side can transmit and receive signal as well?

Thanks in advance.

taengi said:
Hi everyone,

I have some questions about IR, could anyone kindly give me some idea?

1. Does anyone know any good website that provides thorough tutorial about IR transmitter and receiver stuff?
I find ePanorama quite good for Electronics information. In your case, you'd probably find this interesting: ePanorama IR info

taengi said:
2. I wanted to build one but seems completely clueless and undecided of whether use already available remote controller like SONY, or generate my own signal? which is less complicated?
I believe Nigel has a lot of experience with IR stuff, and in particular he does a lot of IR stuff with SONY remote control commands, so I'm sure he'll have a lot to add on this one when he wakes up later ;)

taengi said:
3. Is it possible to have more than one signal to be transmited?
Do you mean is it possible to transmit more than one command? Of course it is!

taengi said:
4. Is it possible to have bidirection trasmision and receiving? like one side can transmit and receive signal as well?

Thanks in advance.
You could have bi-directional TX and RX yes, there's absolutely no reason why not. The possibilities are pretty much endless, limited only by your imagination and willingness to learn.

What's all this for anyway?

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
I believe Nigel has a lot of experience with IR stuff, and in particular he does a lot of IR stuff with SONY remote control commands, so I'm sure he'll have a lot to add on this one when he wakes up later ;)

Yes, check my IR PIC tutorial, which uses the Sony SIRC's remote control system.

'taengi' - you can't 'buy' Sony remote control chips, the receiver side is built-in to the main micro-processor of the unit, it's just software and not a chip. Obviously you could buy Sony IR handsets and take the chips out of those? (pre-programmed micro-controllers), but it's very simple to program your own.

My tutorials give examples of both transmitting and receiving Sony SIRC's.

Thank you both for your feedback. I try to go through the tutorials suggested first and will get back to you all later.

**broken link removed**

Hi Guys,

I’ve just gone through some of the tutorials suggested but based on reading alone, (still haven’t gather some of the parts to test on).

Hereby I have included the block diagram of my idea.

The remote control side will have some buttons for different IR signals (just like TV remote) and a LCD. When the module (consists sensors, mechanical parts and stuff) received IR signals, only it will trigger the operation of the PIC or sensors of the module. Besides the module can send information to LCD if certain conditions are triggered.

I want to know if my idea is actually possible or not?

I am more concerned about the IR coz basically I haven’t try on it before.

BTW, Nigel, in your tutorial, you are using Sony SIRC remote controller, right? Can I use them to control other stuff? Like those mentioned in the block diagram? I don’t have a Sony remote, but I have a Philip remote, is it the same? And you said I cannot “buy” those chips, then where shall I get one for both TX and RX?

Please excuse me for my still-don’t-get-it situation. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

taengi said:
I want to know if my idea is actually possible or not?

Yes, perfectly possible.

I am more concerned about the IR coz basically I haven’t try on it before.

BTW, Nigel, in your tutorial, you are using Sony SIRC remote controller, right? Can I use them to control other stuff? Like those mentioned in the block diagram? I don’t have a Sony remote, but I have a Philip remote, is it the same? And you said I cannot “buy” those chips, then where shall I get one for both TX and RX?

My tutorial gives code for both transmitter and receiver, so you don't need to buy any pre-programmed chips. You could use a philips remote, but not with my tutorial code which is Sony specific.

Your Philips remote probably uses RC5, which is a different protocol to SIRCS, used by SONY. Again, ePanorama has some info on the RC5 protocol. In truth it shouldn't matter which protocol you choose to use so if you wanted to follow Nigel's tutorial that would be fine. You can accomplish the same by using Sony's IR protocol as you can with the Philips version, it's just that the way the data is processed, transmitted and received is different. Personally I've always used RC5, but that's not because it's better, it's just more common than SIRCS that's all.

Brian

By the way, I assume you're at least familiar with microcontrollers? If not, you need to tackle this before you attempt to write any IR software. I notice also that you want to control an LCD to display information; that's absolutely fine and fairly easy to do once you've got the hang of it, but you can't just dive into a Microcontroller and start writing LCD display routines, you need to have a good grounding in the basics first.

What's your background?

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
By the way, I assume you're at least familiar with microcontrollers? If not, you need to tackle this before you attempt to write any IR software. I notice also that you want to control an LCD to display information; that's absolutely fine and fairly easy to do once you've got the hang of it, but you can't just dive into a Microcontroller and start writing LCD display routines, you need to have a good grounding in the basics first.

What's your background?

Brian

Sorry guys for the late reply..

well, honestly i dont have much experience about writing PIC or even IR stuff...that's why I thought of taking this opportunity to work on it.

I was involved in building a scoreboard using PIC877 but the main program (in C language) were written by my friend. so i guess that's my background. I studied Nigel tutorial but seriously i have trouble understanding those assembly code.

It would be great if you guys can guide me. Thanks

Last edited:
1. About the Philip RC5 protocol. Is this what you guys are talking about?
**broken link removed**

The site has a microcontroller receiver, which is something I tend to do.

2. Also, I found a schematic on this site https://jap.hu/electronic/codec.html that I think is helpful.

Hereby is the schematic that I tend to work on the idea I described above.
**broken link removed**
But how do I modify and make it bi-direction (ie transmit and receiver)?
Is the transmitter in the schematic ready-made one?

3. I think it’s best to get a receiver and connect it to a PIC instead of making it from the scratch due to my limited knowledge. Can anyone suggest one that would suit the transmitter I tend to use?

Hello Brian

I also need you to help me with the other program. I'm suppose to write a program of IR remote Controller using Atmega8l. I have to use RC5 codes in the IR transmitter and I'm new on this Enviroment. May you please help with the program. These are the commands which i need to have on the Remote: Forward,Backward,right,left,Speed 1,speed 2,stop. I'm suppose to control the Robot with this remote.

Thanx

I've used this remote control set for a remote controlled Hi-Fi selector, it selects inputs and allows volume control. Highly recommended and reasonably priced for what you get. At the bottom of the page there is a "View pdf documentation" link and this gives a lot more info on the unit and how to configure it to control robotics
Les

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back