Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about ir leds (sender-receiver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoine magdi

Hello every one!

i want to ask a question, is an ir led receiver like an ir led sender, but only in each configuration the ir led does its role?!

plz also tell me what's the simplest configuration to design ir sender-receiver electronic circuit sensing if the ir level is over or less a predefined threshold level?!

Thanks in advance!

Hello every one!

i want to ask a question, is an ir led receiver like an ir led sender, but only in each configuration the ir led does its role?! [/U][/B]

Can you please reword the question in a few more different ways? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Last edited:
An IR transmitter uses an LED to send light. An IR receiver is a photo-diode or photo-transistor that is activated by IR light. A photo-diode is like a diode a normal diode that works better and produces current when light is shined on it . A photo-transistor is like a transistor where the base/gate is driven by light rather than electricity.

Something like this circuit might work. It's very simple and easy to understand, but I don't think it would work very well.

Attachments

• SCHEMATIC1 _ PAGE1.pdf
    7.1 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
sorry, but if the ir receiver (photo-diode for example) produce a voltage when light is shined on it; why i wire up it with a power supply and make a voltage divider?!!

Really thanks for helping me, and for your full explanation! thanks a lot!

The photo-diode circuit is wrong. The photo-diode can be reverse-biased with a voltage then light cause it to conduct a little.

A photo-diode can generate a current like a solar cell then it does not need a reverse voltage but its generated voltage is very small and needs an amplifier in order to frrd the comparator.

Most comparators need a pullup resistor at the output.

Attachments

• photo-diode comparator.PNG
    photo-diode comparator.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 371
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back