Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about fuel cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinAlvin

Hi,
i'm studying fuel cells and i haven't a really clear idea in what can
be found in production and what is at research stage. For example, i'm
interested in solutions for ups or something similar (max 3kW): fuel
cells should work at ambient temperature, so PEM cell is an
interesting commercial solution. But, how can i give hydrogen to fuel
cell?
Do you know any commercial solution for these "low-power"
applications?
Thanks

Look up "Bloom Energy"

There are few companies offering natural gas fuel cells.

Search for "Natural gas fuel cell". Here is one such link: **broken link removed**

I forget the name of the company, but there is a company that is manufacturing 25-35 W or so fuel cells that use methanol in a pre-packaged mix to power specifically laptops for the military. Price was about ~$5,000 when it was announced.

Last edited:
Fuel Cells - ?? Look up HHO - Browns gas - Hydrogen generator. There is a LOT of info on each of these AND DIY plans. > > Want to make your car run on water ?? May sound crazy but you CAN get an HHO assist in mileage and horsepower. BUT - be careful - it's way more flamable/explosive then gas fumes.

Fuel Cells - ?? Look up HHO - Browns gas - Hydrogen generator. There is a LOT of info on each of these AND DIY plans. > > Want to make your car run on water ?? May sound crazy but you CAN get an HHO assist in mileage and horsepower. BUT - be careful - it's way more flamable/explosive then gas fumes.

What's never mentioned in those DIY plans is how much the membrane itself costs...

I have yet to find anything on homebrewing such a membrane (I doubt that it is possible, but you never know)...

The DIY plans I'm reffering to are available to copy and made from simple/standard items like stainless steel light switch covers if you go to your local hardware store. ( 8 or 16 plates cost a couple $ each) The pland I viewed explain the assembly and cost of the whole fuel cell and how to install it for "consumption" by a gas engine ( rototiller / car / motorcycle / ?? ) The general theory equates to about 10-15 % HP increase and up to 25% better mileage. AS WORDED : "GAS" - H20 ( with electrolicis) = HHO = Browns Gas = Hydroxy gas - < Quite a few listings on each of the 3 I've listed. Let your fingers do the walking.....

The DIY plans I'm reffering to are available to copy and made from simple/standard items like stainless steel light switch covers if you go to your local hardware store. ( 8 or 16 plates cost a couple $ each) The pland I viewed explain the assembly and cost of the whole fuel cell and how to install it for "consumption" by a gas engine ( rototiller / car / motorcycle / ?? ) The general theory equates to about 10-15 % HP increase and up to 25% better mileage.

I believe you are talking about making electrolysis cells? These are different (and much easier to make) than fuel cells.

The DIY plans I'm reffering to are available to copy and made from simple/standard items like stainless steel light switch covers if you go to your local hardware store. ( 8 or 16 plates cost a couple $ each) The pland I viewed explain the assembly and cost of the whole fuel cell and how to install it for "consumption" by a gas engine ( rototiller / car / motorcycle / ?? ) The general theory equates to about 10-15 % HP increase and up to 25% better mileage. AS WORDED : "GAS" - H20 ( with electrolicis) = HHO = Browns Gas = Hydroxy gas - < Quite a few listings on each of the 3 I've listed. Let your fingers do the walking.....

Ah - I see you've bought into the woo of "hydro power".

1. These are -not- fuel cells, but rather electrolysis devices.
2. As such, they are very low efficiency.
3. You aren't going to get the increases claimed.
4. However, they are cheap and easy enough to play around with, so have fun.
5. Don't spend your retirement.

Fuel cells are devices that typically take two gases (usually - barring some of the more unusual arrangements), and separate them by a "membrane" of sorts; the two gases are typically hydrogen and oxygen, although there exist propane and methane versions as well (with the other gas being oxygen, or sometimes normal air), as well as liquids. The membrane (IIRC) allows migration of ions but not electrons electrons; this consumes the input gases/fuels, while generating electricity. Electricity is generated as long as the fuel and oxidizer are being supplied. Waste products occur as a breakdown of the fuel and oxidizer (TINSTAAFL).

This wikipedia article explains it better than I can (and may lead to some ideas - I do note that the "first" fuel cell seems somewhat simple - though I doubt very efficient; it might serve as a way for DIY'ers to experiment):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell

Good luck.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back