Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Fiber Optic

Status
Not open for further replies.

98formulaLS1

I can't find a suitable fiber optic forum to post this question on, so please help me answer my question or head me in the right direction.

Can I sandwhich a group of coherent optic fibers against a lens of a camera to extend the viewing range of the camera?

For example, if I were using a camera with a pinhole lens, lets same 1mm in diameter. I want to attach somehow a group of coherent optic fibers, and now use the other end of the fibers as my "camera lens"?

Of course you can transmit an image through the fibers. If your question is whether the length of the fibers is counted in the FL of the lens, the answer is no. Or at least from a practical standpoint, it is no.

That is, if your pinhole camera can focus at 4", then the sum of the distances between the fibers and the pinhole and the fibers and the object will still be approximately 4" to be in focus.

John

Last edited:
MOST protocol is an in-vehicle messaging system. It has no relevance to type of optical fiber video transmission. thanks though, it was interesting to read about anyways.

anyone else

What is the size of you coherent bundle. With great care and precision you should be able to build a larger coherent bundle but it will be tough or image sharpness will suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back