Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about component labels/values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwotoole

I have a schematic diagram with a capacitor labeled with a capacitance value of 5n6, another with 1n0 and a resistor valued at 5k6. Is this a new way of indicating the value of components? All the other components are given the regular values in :eek:hm: and :mu:fd. Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks
P.O'T

It's a very common and efficient method of text decimal and exponent notation.

hi patrick,
The 'n' and 'K' symbols replace the 'decimal point'

'n' = nanoFarads 10^-9
'K' = kiloOhms 10^3

Hows the tachogen for the Harley going?
I've bought all the 'leathers'!
Regards

Using 4k7 instead of 4.7k:eek:hm: is pretty common but 4n7 instead of 4.7nF isn't used as often. I like it though and now insist on using this sort of notation for capacitors and inductors as well as resistors.

Question on components labeling.

Thanks everybody, I think I've got it.
The tach. project is slow going. Seems that I will need to send for parts; Radio Shack doesn't stock many hobby parts anymore. Presently, I've got the sportster engine torn down; I'm replacing the heads and pistons, and also awaiting parts.

Thanks again, everybody,:)
Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back