Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about ac voltage regulater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Perception is reality"

If you think its junk then it probably is junk.

This unit is controlled by a servo motor. Suppose the servo controller craps out and drives the motor to full output. Can the devices hooked up to it survive that much over voltage? Go the other way with the motor driven to the minimum. Can the devices survive the brownout condition?

Except in cases like my inept father-in-law, you generally get what you pay for.

Those products have it's uses in areas where there are frequent brownouts. It won't do anything for surges, blackouts and transients.

I can suggest proven technology 20 years and not a single computer failure that wasn't mechanical but it will cost you at least $1K/1000 VA. I combine it with a surge suppressor for warrantied connected equipment and your set. I do have a solid state AC regulator for my stereo. $100 for a $1000 unit.

We are using these regulators to protect somce instruments from the over-voltage event(Is it voltage or current that rises when first switching on a generator?) when we switch between the two caterpillar generators we are using.

So you saying these will not protect anything?

They aren't fast enough. I had to buy a UPS for just that, we had a custom PLC that had to shut down a lab. Not all UPS's are tolerent of generator input, so they will cost more. You have a blackout for about probably a minute or so before the mains switch. Surge suppressors with a connected equipment warranty are the way to go in general. Isobar surge protectors are one such brand. ONEAC has a nice power conditioner that has never failed me use with the ISOBAR's. Servers and key access systems would be a good use for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back