Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about a transformer and High Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_s

I can read in the transformer I have:

PRI: 230V 50Hz 0.21A
SEC: 9mA 999V SEC: Uo 3130V

What is the output? 999V or 3130V?

The second question is what diodes I need to rectify the output of the transformer. I want to use a full wave bridge rectifier, to get a High Voltage DC source.
But I don't know what diodes I need to use.

I want to charge a capacitor using High Voltage - Low Current DC. I have tought using a battery---inverter---transformer---capacitors

Last edited:
The transformer might have two secondaries so it is both 999V and 3130V. I use the MUR860 power diodes for stuff like this, you'd have to check the datasheet to see if it is what you want.

In the output there are only 2 red wires. So, I think the output would be 3130V. A friend has just told me that he thinks that I need to use 1n4007 diodes, but he isn't sure.

In the output there are only 2 red wires. So, I think the output would be 3130V. A friend has just told me that he thinks that I need to use 1n4007 diodes, but he isn't sure.

If the transformer is 3.13kV then 1N4007's are NOT suitable, only 1000Vpiv.!
When you choose a rectifier consider the peak reverse voltage and the voltage on the smoothing capacitor.
I would estimate at least 10kV to 12kVpiv

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thank you for the website.
Yes, I also thought that 1N4007 won't be valid. I have also seen the website.

Maybe using 4 diodes from a microwave overn could be useful? Remember that a microwave oven needs voltages around 3Kv

Let me guess, eBay??

I have the same one. Looking to make a Jacobs Ladder but I dont know if this will work. Yeah I'm a n00b. His eBay ad said 1500v, so I bought it before I knew better. Now you guys are saying it will push 3.13kV? Another dumb question coming. Is the PRE 230v the input voltage? Or can this be run on 110v?

Thanks for any help.

Can you post a picture of this animal? Pictured below is an old HV neon sign transformer. The secondary voltage is 9,000 volts and as can be seen there are only two terminals. However, the HV midpoint is tied to the chassis ground. Either HV terminal to ground will yield 4,500 volts. Now in your case I just don't get this part:

PRI: 230V 50Hz 0.21A
SEC: 9mA 999V SEC: Uo 3130V

Maybe if you could post a picture it would help.

On another note, if the primary is 220 VAC and you apply 110 VAC you will get about 1/2 the output. The transformer really doesn't care. It is a ratio metric device so if you half the input voltage you half the output voltage.

If you are after a Jacobs Ladder there is no need to rectify the HV. A good source of a transformer like the ones pictured is a neon sign shop that may part with a used but working 9 to 15 KV transformer for a few bucks.

Ron

Attachments

• Trans1.jpg
    Trans1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Trans2.jpg
    Trans2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads