Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about 100uF electrolytic capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

duct996

I need a couple of 100uF electrolytic capacitor that say 50V on it for the Arduino motor shield. I have hundreds of caps at 16v and 10V and 35V and I was wondering if there was any way to put them in series or parallel to make the 100uF 50V electrolytic capacitor. Here is the link to what I am building.
**broken link removed**
Thanks for any info. I just don't want to have to order 2 things online and get charged 13.00 for shipping.

Putting capacitors in series will increase their working voltage while decreasing their capacitance. So four 25V 100uF caps in series will be similar to a 25uF 100V cap...similar because the parasitics will be a lot worse which isn't good for bypassing.

Putting caps in series combines capacitance while reducing lead inductance and keeping the same working voltage.

So you'd need to have a bunch of series chains in parallel with each other. Takes up a lot of room and adds a lot of lead inductance which defeats the purpose of bypassing.

Last edited:
C9 will never have more than 5V on it since it decouples the Vcc line for the 74HC00 so a 10V, or more, rated part will be OK here.
C4 will have up to whatever voltage you decide to run your motor at ( 3.6V to 36V ) so a 16V rated cap would be OK if you are only feeding 12V into the V+ lead for the motor.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Putting capacitors in series will increase their working voltage while decreasing their capacitance. So four 25V 100uF caps in series will be similar to a 25uF 100V cap...similar because the parasitics will be a lot worse which isn't good for bypassing.

Putting caps in series combines capacitance while reducing lead inductance and keeping the same working voltage.

So you'd need to have a bunch of series chains in parallel with each other. Takes up a lot of room and adds a lot of lead inductance which defeats the purpose of bypassing.
Of course, you meant parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back