Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Query on Infra Red sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil'gal

Hi all

I have a qn on IR sensors.

My IR sensor (juz the device connected to controller with resistors) is activated (thru digital or analog ports) regardless of whatever object is placed over it, black or white. I need it to be activated by a reflective white surface onli, and not juz any black surface.

The sensor shows a slight difference in volt reading/ analog output reading between a white surface and a black surface. I need it to show a very large difference so that the robot can know distinctly when a black surface is passed over it, or when a white surface is passed over it.

How can i go about doing this?

Thank you for advising :D

lil'gal said:
The sensor shows a slight difference in volt reading/ analog output reading between a white surface and a black surface. I need it to show a very large difference so that the robot can know distinctly when a black surface is passed over it, or when a white surface is passed over it.

Have you got a direct shine path between emmiter and detector?

regards,
colin

You can try using a comparitor to read the reflection strenght to see if it passes a certain "threshold level." The comparitor would have two input voltages: (1) a reference voltage, and (2) your input signal from the IR transmitter. The comparitor will check to see which input is higher and give you a + or - output based on the comparison. If your output is still constantly on, just keep adjusting the reference voltage until it can differentiate between light and dark.

LM339 seems to be a pretty standard model and you can still get them at most Radio Shacks if you are in the U.S. **broken link removed** shows something similar to what you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back