Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

quality factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

niga

hello

I read that Q,the quality factor of series resonant circuits is wL/R
------------>1/R sqrt(L/C).This i understand

1.but for parallel resonant it is R/wL....hmm but why is that?this i don quite get.why shud it be XL not Xc?

2. what do u mean by loaded resonant circuit and unloaded resonant circuit?

Thanx for ur time and help.

The difference is that for a series circuit, the R is assumed to be in series with the L. But for parallel, it is assumed to be in parallel.

Impedance of a series R + L is R + jwL

Admittance = 1/(R + jwl) = (R - jwL)/ (R^2 + (wL)^2)

So the conductance is not 1/R it is R/ (R^2 + (wL)^2) which implies that the resistance for the parallel case is much greater than for the series case - as you would expect.

Len

ok len thats fine,Thanku

but its a parallel RLC resonant circuit.
R is in Parallel with C and L.........so why is C not so important?

niga said:
but its a parallel RLC resonant circuit.
R is in Parallel with C and L.........so why is C not so important?
Capacitors have less loss than inductors.

The main loss in a capacitor is the dielectric loss. This can be represented by a parallel resistor. But inductors have copper loss and possibly magnetic losses such as eddy currents.

So in a RLC circuit, most of the loss is due to the inductor.

Len

One that has a load. The load may be the input resistance of an amplifier such as in a radio receiver.

Len

Please help.....
say, i have an XL as the load with a parallel RLC it becomes a loaded resonant circuit.
the Q for the parallel connt is
R/XL

so what do i do ..... :? please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back