Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM to (Safely) trigger a relay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iso9001

Hey all,

I have project that requires me to turn a relay depending on an existing pwm output from my micro controller. I know hooking a relay on my PWM line sucks b/c if the pulse width is slow enough I'm going to have a constantly switching relay, if its faster then I'll have made myself an effective EMI generator.

I can't spare anymore outputs as this is a remote bandaid fix for a specific customer,

I was thinking I would put a decoupling cap on the pwm line after a diode and try and smooth the signal out as much as possible, but I don't really like this idea as that cap will wear out and its just not an easily install or replaceable.

Is there better circuit I'm not thinking of ? Or does anyone make relays designed to be driven like this??? (like a latching relay that won't be powering the coil all the time)

Thanks,

I have seen the diode and cap idea used before to drive a relay, it worked without any problems.

Yea,

I am a little concerned about the temps that the cap would be seeing. Its near a pretty large heater so I can assume that 120ºF is realistic for normal operation, maybe more on a hot day so, I would take a look at the cap's 2250 hour rating as a limitation.

I would have though there would be a specific relay type to handle this but I guess not, at least I haven't found one yet,

What about using the PWM through a low pass filter into a schmitt trigger? If you use a filter on the PWM it'll act as an analog output and the schmitt buffer will make it act like a switch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back