Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM square wave variation

Status
Not open for further replies.

maicael

I am curious to know if i vary a high frequency PWM square wave linearly where all the widths are equal and I then filter it if I would get a good sine wave other than when I vary the pwm sinusoidally.
Just trying to know if the same type of filter would suffice for both situations.
I have experimented on the sinusoidal type in the lab but am curious if anyone has experience or what they think

Filtering a modulated PWM signal to recover the modulating signal from the carrier is very different from filtering the carrier directly to turn it into a sinewave rather than a square wave. Both are possible. If you adjust the PWM signal such that it is a simple 50% duty cycle squarewave, this can be filtered into a sinewave of the same frequency. However, to remove enough harmonics to obtain a sinewave with low distortion takes a complex filter.

ak

A fairly low distortion sine wave (under 5% harmonic) can be obtained from a 50% duty-cycle square-wave by double-integrating it.
This can be low-pass filtered to further reduce distortion if needed.
Of course, as with all low-pass filters, the output amplitude of the integrator varies with frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back