Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM Sort of question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hi i know i have been gone for a while just been studying and stuff. I was wondering is there like a chip with just PWM feature on it? like the have a/d chips and stuff how about pwm? Like if i have a PIC with 1 PWM channel on it can i use another chip to communicate with that PIC ...

Like:
1 Pic
1 PWM Chip

Pic <---> PWM Chip?

Sorry if this is a stupid question :D

Basically so i can have more PWM outputs.

Hi,
Not sure about the external PWM, but I know there're many PIC have more than 1 PWM module (CCP).
PIC18F2331/2431/4331/4431 are made for PWM, up to 4 channels. Unfortunately I haven't used them before.

well the actual use is unknown yet just wondering really but i use it mostly for the ability to lower voltage (duty cycle i think) Like im using my only one right now to control a lcds backlight for dimming and stuff. Unless i can do it another way that doesnt require like a set value (ex: Resitors)

blueroomelectronics said:
On 28pin PICs dual PWM is common, some PICs have very fancy enhanced PWM I/O such as H-Bridge drivers.

cool! didnt know that...

So now knowing i want to controll power to a certain object like a LED or Motor or anything of the sort what would you suggest using? Like is there like a Microchip version of a resistor where i can controll how much output power from my own pic?

Better said like a DIGITIAL POT.

Last edited:
MCP41010 - The MCP41010 single-channel digital potentiometer features 8-bit resolution (256 wiper steps), and an industry-standard SPI™ serial interface. The wiper position varies linearly and is controlled via the SPI interface. The MCP41010 has a resistance value of 10 kohm...

If you want a chip with a lot of PWM look into the 18F1330. Using the onboard PLL you can run FOSC at 32 MHz without exteran crystal! The down side it that all the PWM only leaves you with 2 timers and the SPI and I2C interfaces are missing.

AtomSoft said:
cool! didnt know that...

So now knowing i want to controll power to a certain object like a LED or Motor or anything of the sort what would you suggest using? Like is there like a Microchip version of a resistor where i can controll how much output power from my own pic?

Better said like a DIGITIAL POT.

EDIT: Datasheet for digital pot

Last edited:
AtomSoft said:
AWSOME 3v0! Thanks alot i didnt know they existed lol Im going to order all three types: 10k 50k and 100k
They are very awsome. They are also fairly fast. You can switch them fast enough to use as a simple DAC for voice. See the "Talking Fish Hack" over at MondoTechnology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back