Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM, Resolution ?, channels ? explain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_imum2000

i just need to know what is meant by the following
PWM resolution (10bits and so on)
i have read this and i dont understand how can it me implemnted

"10bits resolution which means you can have 1024 different steps from zero to full power, for our purposes this is a little excessive, and I've decided on 128 steps forward (0-127), and 128 steps in reverse (128-255), using a single byte for the speed and direction, with the highest bit signifying reverse."

also when a PIC has 2 channels for the PWM, can this be used to control 2 motors in both directions and speeds using an h-bridge ?

thank you very much , i am new here and i think this forum rocks

max_imum2000 said:
i just need to know what is meant by the following
PWM resolution (10bits and so on)
i have read this and i dont understand how can it me implemnted

"10bits resolution which means you can have 1024 different steps from zero to full power, for our purposes this is a little excessive, and I've decided on 128 steps forward (0-127), and 128 steps in reverse (128-255), using a single byte for the speed and direction, with the highest bit signifying reverse."

You just use the higher bits, and have 128 steps - if you check my PWM tutorial it does exactly that, using the 8th bit to signify forward or reverse.

also when a PIC has 2 channels for the PWM, can this be used to control 2 motors in both directions and speeds using an h-bridge ?

Yes, again my tutorial does exactly that, using a 16F876 with two PWM channels, plus two outputs per channel for forward/reverse switching. You obviously need two H-bridges, one for each motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back