Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy55555

Hi all

Is any one aware of a power supply that can be pulse width modulated?

The crux of it all is that I'm designing a curve tracer of sorts to do IV characteristics on power Mosfets.

Whilst having the gate open I ideally want to be able to PWM the current across the drain and source as to minimise any heating effects, whilst still achieving currents of up to 300A.

Any input appreciated!

Cheers

I would suggest just using another MOSFET as a switch to power the test MOSFET. But you don't need PWM. You just pulse the transistor with a single short pulses of a few tenths of milliseconds each at a low duty-cycle. If you look at the data sheets, that's how they do many of the tests when the devices are manufactured.

What do you mean "having the gate open"? You never want an open gate on a MOSFET.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry that was me being a dime bar, I meant that the Vth had been reached and the channel between drain and source had formed

Last edited:
Actually you can simplify my suggested technique by just pulsing the transistor you are testing. Use an analog switch, controlled by a pulse generator, to switch the gate voltage to the MOSFET under test. (Note: You need to add a low value gate-source resistor to discharge the gate capacitance when turning the transistor off, or use a gate-driver circuit to reduce the turn-on and turn-off time). You probably should also add a snubber series RC circuit from the transistor drain to source to minimize spikes from stray circuit inductance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back