Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM in cell-phone torch

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, perception of brighter vs darker over actual increased optical clarity in a situation which requires perception of more than simple lighter or darker.
The placebo affect is real, doesn't mean sugar pills make you not sick =) Just makes you feel like you're not sick. Actual quantification of perception vs reality is painstakingly difficult.

Read up similar stuff on a couple of websites, and from what I gathered, driving the LED via pulses actually gives u the freedom to send current as high as 500mA(depends on the diode) in short-duty-cycle pulses. Thus, the average current would be much less, and within safety limits, while higher brightness is ensured. Also, seems some research has found out that the human eye *perceives* pulsed light to be brighter than continuous light of the same luminous intensity.

I think it is for this reason

I use PWM as an efficient dimmer for LEDs. They look dimmer, not brighter.

The average current can't be less =) do the math.

The average current of LEDs driven by PWM determines their brightness.

Their absolute brightness yes, but not their apparent brightness. Human perception is a bit tricky. A pulsed LED delivering a peak light output 1.5 times the average light output of a steady state LED will be visible to the human eye from a greater distance, even if the average brightness of the pulsed LED is equivalent. I don't think this effect is useful in close quarters though it's just at the lower limits of perception where it's noticeable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back