Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pwm Ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I need to PWM audio signals. I've been told there is an ic that will do it: put the signal in and get out the modulated pulses. does anybody know of such an ic and point me to a datasheet ?

thanks

What do you mean?

Do you want to build an RF or infrared audio transmitter?

Or are you talking about building a class D amplifier?

great, just read the damn question. what is a class D amplifier I only know of A AB B and C. all i want in udio in PWM out just that simple. the 555 should do this but I sdon't think it will work very well and a friend told me there is a specific PWM IC but he couldn't remember the name of it

Thunderchild said:
great, just read the damn question. what is a class D amplifier I only know of A AB B and C. all i want in udio in PWM out just that simple. the 555 should do this but I sdon't think it will work very well and a friend told me there is a specific PWM IC but he couldn't remember the name of it

It's easy to do with a few opamps, you just need a triangle oscillator and a comparator, feed the triangle signal into one of the comparator inputs, and the audio into the other - the output of the comparator is a PWM signal.

However, as you won't explain what you're trying to do?, we can't be more explicit - which leads me to believe you probably don't know what you're doing?.

As suggested, try looking at class D (PWM) amplifiers, they use this same technique - which is why it was suggested!.

Here is a 555 PWM

Attachments

• 555 PWM-1.jpg
    555 PWM-1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 487
  • 555 PWM-2.jpg
    555 PWM-2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 949
hey all sorry I was a bit fed up the other day please exscuse me I'm not normally liek that it's just that I seem to run around in blasted circles. As it is so difficult to get parts here in Italy I want to make a generic pw modulator that i can use for anything from motor speed control to audio amplifiers 1 w to 100 watts. that way instead of waiting six months for this IC and that IC i just work out a generic pwm and use the apropriate driving mosfet.

hotwaterwizard, I was thinking of something like that myself but want to make something that can be used in an amplifier as well and maybe as a power supply control.

getting complicated am I well better me than the suppliers. It's hell getting parts in Italy but you try getting them in South Italy thats something the devil himself don't even know about yet

Thunderchild said:
hey all sorry I was a bit fed up the other day please exscuse me I'm not normally liek that it's just that I seem to run around in blasted circles. As it is so difficult to get parts here in Italy I want to make a generic pw modulator that i can use for anything from motor speed control to audio amplifiers 1 w to 100 watts. that way instead of waiting six months for this IC and that IC i just work out a generic pwm and use the apropriate driving mosfet.

Not a good idea, they have VERY different requirements, you should build them for their specific use.

Doesn't Italy have a postal service?, parts from all over the world normally only take a few days to reach me in the UK - except for very odd occasions, where I've paid for airmail, it's been dispatched as airmail, and it's been sent surface mail - probably on a pre-WW2 leaking boat!.

well ya tou could call it a postal service though it is a bit crappy. but I presume that means buying online with a credit or debit card and thats something I don't trust in italy. better wait till i move lock stock and barrel to england. at the moment a friend that repairs tvs gets me the parts but hell they come by curioir what more than that can u use and they are still slow. it's easier to get free pic samples thru the post (from england) than get a bought ! component from a shop. stitty country and don't ask why u bother being there if you don't like it cause I'm not here for my pleasure but to keep others happy but thats not the topic of this thread anyhow.

LM4651 is a PWM driver that can be used to drive other components like Mosfet or Standard Transistors etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back