PWM fan speed controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

makr

I'm hoping to convert some leftover 140mm PWM case fans (standard 4-pin computer connector) to a quiet room air circulator, with proper pulse-width speed control instead of voltage based.

I haven't found much on exactly what the supply needs to be, i.e. ground, +12v, pwm, rpm sense, but what does the pwm signal need to look like? Best I have gathered so far is it's a 21 kHz 12v square wave signal where the ratio of how long the signal stays at +12 within the cycle determines the fan speed.

My thought was to use one side of a 556 to supply the 21 kHz to trigger the other side to hold output high for an adjustable time, feeding the output to a power transistor to drive the 4 fans.

Does this seem reasonable, or am I in the wrong ballpark?

556's are not quite enough Umph for Hi or low side. since they drop 2~3V at 200mA

Whatever you use to drive the Fans should be < 0.5V @ 350mA or RdsOn=< 1 Ohm preferred low side (Nch) or high side (PCh.)

You can also bias a Schmitt inverter oscillator with a pot to and a few R's and Cap to input ground to shift the input waveform and output dutycycle to drive a FET.at 20kHz

I've driven these things with a 5v pwm pulse... The control is inside the fan so it doesn't pull much current from he pwm source

Frequency probably isnt important, the line has a pullup so default is 100%.
As Ian says voltage probably isnt important too 5 or 12v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…