Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM Drive of Universal Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_pay

Hi

Last week I found out how to adjust the speed of a universal motor; thanks to the members of the forum.

Can I fully rectify an AC wave and then PWM the resulting DC, at a frequency of approximately 30 kHz to adjust its speed? Would this be inefficient? Or would it even work?

Thanks

Tom

P.S When something says 240VAC or 24VAC is that the Vrms or V peak to peak?

Of course it works. It also keeps the torque relatively constant at low speeds,

I'm assuming a nameplate. Yes, RMS. They also assume a sine wave input. Also remember that 120 VAC applied to a load, the load would dissipate the same number of Watts as if 120 VDC was applied to the resistive load.

Yes, it works quite well on the car battery, just had very little torque.

What would normally be used to do the PWMing? I was planning to use a TRIAC, but it would be of little use.

Thanks

Tom

Triacs can be used on AC only because once they turn-on there are two ways to turn them off. Zero gate drive at (0 load current or shorted triac).

For DC operations a MOSFET or transistor can be used. If an H-bridge is employed then the enable signal can be pulsed.

Yes, I could stall it with my fingers.

I understand that if I use a higher voltage yet PWM it I should get low speed but still some torque.

Tom

For a DC motor and it should apply to a universal motor too:

Torque is directly proportional to current.
Speed is proportional to voltage.
a) A DC motor can act s a generator when unloaded and that voltage is proportional to speed
b) It's also proportional to Vmot = Vmeas - Imotor*Rarmature

PWM allows you to use the full amount of current and the voltage, hence speed, is related to the PWM duty cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back