Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM controller for transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clueless1

Hey guys, I don't know much about electronics, I'm hoping you will be able to help me with a project. Thank you for any help in advance, I really appreciate it.

I need your help to build a PWM controller with a few specific characteristics. What I want it to do is power the lock up solenoid in my 4l80e transmission. It locks the torque converter in overdrive/3rd thus dropping the rpm for better mileage. I want it on a switch that I would operate while driving, but will deactivate when I hit the brakes, to turn it on again it would have to be reset (switched off then on again).

I have done an engine swap, put a TPI 305 (from a Camaro) into my Toyota 4X4 and hooked the 4l80e (from a truck) to it. The tranny has a kit installed that makes it fully manual because it can't be controlled by the stock PCM anymore.

The PCM ramped up (the duty cycle I think) so as to not damage things (cushions).

Like this:
**broken link removed**

Here are some specs of what the stock PCM does to operate it (hope it's readable):
**broken link removed**
This is from the service manual here: go to page 49....https://www.scribd.com/doc/34146059/4L80E

When I flick the switch, I just want it to ramp up like the first image, but with the right frequency (292.5hz) and duty cycle. I think :eek:

Some people just hook a switch up to it with 12volts and it eventually destroys the solenoid. It's quite a big job to replace the solenoid, I don't want that to happen.

Can anyone send me in the right direction in how to do this? I almost need it spelled out for me, I apologize. What do I need to buy to do this.

Thank you sooo much!

Jeff

:D

Last edited:
I'll help you, but dont have time until tonight...

You will probably need to talk to these guys, PCS - Powertrain Control Solutions - Home , being its what I had to do to make a Ford E4OD work behind a built up 460 I put in a 1985 F150.

The only way to ever get any modern electronically controlled transmission to work right, reliably, and with any life expectancy is with the correct electronic brains to operate them properly. There are no easy work around that will ever give you all of the proper control signals and timing with basic hack and chop DIY 'sort of educated guess work' stuff.

I am not sure what others think but to having to convert a automatic transmission to a 'toggle switch manual' just to make it sort of functional seems like a waste of time. Either put the right brains on the electronic automatic or put in a clutch and manual transmission.

Thanks Mike!

And tcmtech, thanks for the link but I wanted the full manual option of the very reliable Transgo kit, hundreds have done it successfully and don't have a problem. The kit just loses controll of the TCC. What I'm doing won't harm the transmision, the "toggle switch manual" will work just fine for me if it's built right.

EDIT: The 4l80e is basically a turbo 400 (fully mechanical) converted with shift solenoids etc. The kit just puts it back to this 400 configuration. If I activate the solenoid that locks the converter properly it does not negatively affect the operation of the transmission. It will only be used on the highway for cruising to increase my mileage.

Last edited:
That second image is the wrong one, its talking about the pressure control. I don't have that anymore, it's vaccum modulated.

So the 292.5 hz is not for the lock up solenoid as I mentioned earler...its 32hz.

Heres the page:

Its one page back in the manual at the link earlier.
**broken link removed**

Thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back