Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Putting graphics on Pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deyus

Hello, I am working on a project that is almost complete before I send my board to be made I wanted to add a simple graphic onto my PCB board. Does any one know what's the best way going about doing this? I wanted the graphic to be in copper not the silk screen. If any one has any idea's that would be great thank you.

Last edited:
Graphics on a PCB

You might design a "package" using a very small grid, e.g. 1/320". Then make the graphic pixel by pixel.

If the package has a symbol, just any will do, e.g. a simple pin without name and value you can make it a "device" and add to the schematic. On the board design it will appear as "component".

This is, provided you are using Eagle PCB software.

Boncuk

Thank you

Thank you for your help I will definitely try that. I just started working with eagle, before I did everything with IRIS and ARES. With ARES I can import a .bmp as long as it was monochrome.

Eagle has a ulp file called import-bmp.ulp (from the file menu click on Run, then choose that file)

It reads-in your chosen bmp and allows you to scale it and choose which layer to put it on.

I'm with Boncuk's method I do the same here.

And I have not see a freehand tool in a PCB layout software before.

Hi Gayan,

using such a fine grid you won't require a freehand tool using Eagle. Each "pixel" will be a square of the selected grid size. Instead of drawing "dots" you just square the dot with 0 width and have it filled automatically with the layer you selected.

You get an instantaneous "WYSIWYG" display (What You See Is What You Get).

I made my initials I designed 50 years ago for a gold smith to make a ring - just to fit on any layer of a PCB by mirroring and changing the layer with just one design.

Resizing doesn't work of course!

Once you know the design just make different sizes scaled on a sheet of paper.

The second design will be a matter of minutes.

Boncuk

Graphics on a PCB

Here is an example what you can do using Eagle. About the same method should work with any other PCB-editor.

First draw the graphic on the component layer (layer21 in Eagle). Save it for later use on the silk screen.

Copy and paste it. Change the layer to top and click every element to change colour from white to red.

Save it and you're done.

To obtain the graphic on the solder side just throw the graphic made for the top layer onto the screen and mirror it. It will change to blue and be displayed mirrored. - No need to create an extra graphic for the solder side.

I used a selfmade slogan for Coors beer. Why? It's f... close to water. :D

Hans

Attachments

• Graphics.png
    Graphics.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back