Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

push button switch each time button pressed the motor changes rotation direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

burrelljw

I am working on a project and I need the simplest circuit solution because it will be incased in a mold. I have a motor that I want to be hook up to a push button switch were every time the button is pushed the rotation on the motor changes direction. It needs to be push button because the motor is going to be on a track once the motor gets to the end of the track the button will be pressed by something at the end of the track and I need the motor to reverse rotation to go back the other way on the track.

Is the motor AC or DC?
What track is it running on?
What is running on the track?
Can you use a switch on ether side?
Is the switch on the motor or the track?

You will also need to introduce a delay unless the motor is very low power. Suddenly reversing a powerful motor could cause damage. What is the motor power, voltage, current,.....?

the motor is DC
the track it is running on is not really a factor that Im have a problem with but, it is not really a track it really just a guide
the motor is going to be incased in a triangular rover and the motor will be connected to wheels that will extend outside of the rover and connect to a track or guide. The motor will power the wheels to rotate and the rotation will pull the rover along the track.
the switch can be on either side
the switch will be connected to the motor but will be place on the rover so when the rover gets to the end of the track; (something will be there to trigger the switch) once the switch is trigger the motor will power the wheels to rotate the opposite way and the wheels will push the rover back

What happens after the the rover comes back?
How much current does the motor use?

• Torque: 8kgcm
• Amperes: 4A
• Voltage: 24V DC
• RPM: 600RPM
• Diameter: 25mm
• Length: 52mm
• Shaft diameter: 4mm
• Weight (each): 90g

I want the rover to just keep going back and forth thats why I would like the switch to be a push button switch so when the rover get to either end of the track the switch will reverse the rotation.

Now that I think about it more I am probably going to need the motor connected to two push button switches
motor specs
• Torque: 8kgcm
• Amperes: 4A
• Voltage: 24V DC
• RPM: 600RPM
• Diameter: 25mm
• Length: 52mm
• Shaft diameter: 4mm
• Weight (each): 90g

You could just use a three pole relay.
Use two poles to reverse the polarity to the motor and use the therd pole to latch the relay.
Wire one botton to latch it and the other to unlatch it.

Last edited:
If the 4A is continuous running current under load then the motor will be dissipating 96W at its rated output and it will get hot. So encasing it in a mould could cause problems. And with that amount of power a delay between running in one direction and running in the opposite direction would be advisable to prevent stress/damage to the motor and/or its gear-train.

Right, I just made a solid model of the device that I am thinking of on pro e and looking at how it will be made. There are a lot more problems with my first design the motor, relays, and switches being in an enclosed small space, heat being one of them. I am going to have to go back to the drawing board. But my main back ground is in mechanical not electrical so I just want to know is there even a way to make what I'm trying to create cause I don't want to be beating my head in for no reason.

basically if you have a mini cart (about 3 inches in length) with a motor on it where I need it to travel a selected distance (about 1 foot) once it gets to the end some how the motor will reverse polarity and travel back the other way. I was thinking it would be done by switches. And since it is going to be enclose I need to use the least components as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back