Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Push a button to turn on a PC, with the Arduino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fractal5

I have a simple task I want to do but I'm not sure what to search for. I want to push a button with the Arduino to make it turn on a desktop PC. If I search for anything related to buttons and pushing them, I get examples of how to get the Arduino to register that a button has been pushed, when the button is connected to the Arduino.

I don't need a physical mechanism to push down on the button, I can solder wires directly to it. To turn on a desktop PC you'd normally just short the two wires the power button is connected to (forgive me if this is not a safe way to do it). Is there a trivial way to make the Arduino do this?

Try searching for "optocoupler", "solid state relay (SSR)" and "relay". Those are listed in the order that I would recommend them for a normal electronics project (relay is last because it is the most complex to drive), but since you are talking arduino where everything is a shield, just get a relay shield (all of the drive circuitry will be taken care of for you).

If I search for anything related to buttons and pushing them, I get examples of how to get the Arduino to register that a button has been pushed, when the button is connected to the Arduino.

Well of course.. you need to search for "turn on pc with arduino".

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back