Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Purpose of Schottky Diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the shoot-through protection?

I found the datasheet for the MOSFET driver and there doesn't seem to be any.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/03/99018-1.pdf

If both the top and bottom MOSFETs turn on simultaneously, they'll short circuit the supply which will probably be fatal to the MOSFETs unless the current limiting is fast enough to protect them.

Hi there,

Yes that is what i was wondering too, that's why i mentioned the big gate resistors
and the symmetrical (rather than asymmetrical) drive.

schottky diodes, to answer the question which is in the title of this thread, are just normal diodes with low forward voltages, e.g 0.14V, 0.2V only, whereas silicon or germanium ones are around 0.5-0.7V. They're four times costlier too, in my case. :)

One of the applications is the construction of low-dropout rectifiers (AC to DC converters).

Schottky diodes are generally faster too.

Now that we've beat the diodes to death, ssylee has told us that the motor failed, not the diodes or MOSFETs.

@ssylee,we need more information about the motors. The web page in your pointer shows several different motors, which ones did you receive. Is their voltage rating given? The first thing that I would suspect on a kit like this is that you may have 3V motors. If I recall correctly, your power is 7.2V. If there's any binding in the gears, this would cause a very brief motor lifetime.

Which motors did you have? How quickly did they burn out? What was the state of the system when it happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back