Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pure sine wave or modified inverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvinfx

Hi,

I know that modified sine wave is not appropriate for all loads.
But nowhere I could find what about smps ? I need to supply a pc and a LED TV only.

Is the modified sine wave suitable with smps or not? this is the question:D

Sine wave inverters are best for loads that are primarily inductive, such as motors. Most common switch mode supplies really don't care what the wave shape is, since they just feed a rectifier and capacitor.

Many 'universal input' supplies can run just fine on 150 to 350 Volts DC.

Known exceptions:
- If the supply has a 115/230 volt range switch, then it needs AC for the low range since it uses a voltage doubler. But they should work fine on ~350VDC for the high range.
- Photo flash supplies may also use voltage multipliers.
- Clocks or other products where the line frequency is used as a time base.

I would prefer a sine wave inverter. A "modified sine wave" is actually two square waves, one (smaller) on top of the other (bigger) and the fast rise times of the waveform cause stress on the rectifier diodes and filter capacitor because the capacitor charging current is i = C dv/dt . The line filter components will also be stressed removing the additional harmonics of the modified sine waveform.

Timescope

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back