Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Purchase Pooling, cheap PICs - Anyone interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDubya

Purchase Pooling for cheap PICs - Anyone interested?

Offshoot from: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/question-about-the-pic-chip-lineup.21500/

tinman10011001 said:
Personally, I would order a few just to experment with. The only way you would blow it up is if you put excessive voltages on it. If you take precautions, that should not be a problem.

Wow, after you get 25 at digikey, the price is cut in half, it's like getting twice as many for the same price.

Would anyone be interested in buying in on some components to save a little money? I'll eat the initial shipping costs (as I'd be paying for it anyway). As long as we can get enough people to buy up to the breaking point, I'm fine with buying up the rest.

Anyone interested?

Last edited:
PDubya said:
Wow, after you get 25 at digikey, the price is cut in half, it's like getting twice as many for the same price. Is that normal? Off topic, of sorts. Does anyone on the board do purchase pooling for parts/components??

What is the price on 25+. I have paypal and could send some money as I need some of them. I want to get some 12f508 as well.
have all the software and programmer, just need chips.
I

PIC16F628A-I/P
1-24: $3.35
25-100: $1.82 (breakpoint at 13 pieces)

PIC12F508-I/SN
1-24: $1.50
25-100: .93 (Breakpoint @ 15 pieces)

---

I don't mind buying the parts up front as long as we can get enough people to buy in to at least pay close to the breakpoint. I'd need some guidance in regards to packaging the chips to send. Shipping should be minimal, but I don't have any ESD foam or packaging.

<waves arms at moderators>
Does vBulletin support topic splitting?

The discussion has went off on a completely different tangent ;). I'm not sure about the forum's policy on this kind of thing, wonder if it would be worth a separate post - see if anyone else would be interested?

PDubya said:
<waves arms at moderators>
Does vBulletin support topic splitting?

The discussion has went off on a completely different tangent ;). I'm not sure about the forum's policy on this kind of thing, wonder if it would be worth a separate post - see if anyone else would be interested?

Sure it does!

BTW: Please update first post and Title.

PDubya said:
PIC16F628A-I/P
1-24: $3.35
25-100: $1.82 (breakpoint at 13 pieces)

PIC12F508-I/SN
1-24: $1.50
25-100: .93 (Breakpoint @ 15 pieces)

---

I don't mind buying the parts up front as long as we can get enough people to buy in to at least pay close to the breakpoint. I'd need some guidance in regards to packaging the chips to send. Shipping should be minimal, but I don't have any ESD foam or packaging.

I'd like to point out that mouser has far better prices on PICs.

16F628A I/P - 1.73/1, 1.70/25
12F508 I/SN - 0.90/1, 0.89/25

In both cases, their Q1 price beats Digikey's Q100 price.

Also, if you are in the USA, take the First Class Shipping option for small purchases. Typically, it runs about $3.50 or so and it gets there very quick (2 days for me). Mouser has no minimum pruchase.

I've always said that digikey actively discourages the little guy. Mouser courts them.

Phil

Philba:

I was told to go mouser all the time, and stop using digikey. So looks like it is time to start doing that. Thanks for the tip on postage too.

PDubya: Let me know the plan, but might be easier at these prices to each just buy from mouser.com.. Gonna go look.

justDIY said:
if you're not interested in buying bulk, glitchbuster.com sells single quanity of most of the popular pics, at or below the mouser (qty 25) bulk price

they also have super cheap shipping.

uh, I'm looking at glitchbuster.com's prices and I think you have mouser and digikey confused. mouser is much better than randy's prices. Don't get me wrong, I use glitchbuster all the time but the only place I've seen where yo can get PICs cheaper than mouser is Microchip (samples).

The one place where glitchbuster beats mouser is if you are ordering a very small number of chips (3-4 is the breakpoint). Shipping is about half of mouser's Ist class USPS rates. Their prices on other parts is pretty good , though.

Which reminds me, I hope you guys first do samples from Microchip. They have been pretty easy in the past. If you can fog a mirror, you can get samples from them. heh heh. Always try that first. same goes for Maxim.

Last edited:
free samples are great, but if too many people use them, they'll stop being free

generally, I only request free samples when I'm working on a project that I hope to market some day as a kit or an idea ... acting in good faith (as the company providing the samples is doing). when I'm working on something for myself, that will have little application to anyone else, I try to buy my parts ... they're seldom very expensive, regardless of where they're purchased. Of course, the exception to the rule is hard to find parts, especially stuff from Philips or Linear ... some of their more exotic chips are only available as freebies or in quanities of 1000+.

sorry but i don't get the logic - don't use it because they might stop doing it. I agree that one shouldn't abuse it but there are no preconditions placed on samples. I've spoken to a Microchip FAE (sales support guy) who told me that they have a liberal policy because even if no product gets build, expertise is created and that grows the pool of developers that can use their chips. given their dominant position, I'd say it works and is smart.

If they were concerned about the cost of the program, they would do something like National and other stingy companies have done - put a lot of hurdles to getting samples.

So, I believe that it is ok to ask for samples. I would keep it to small number no more than a couple times a year. I also wouldn't sample really cheap/common stuff (like max232 from maxim, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back