Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pump stays off if ac power goes off

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenny1985

Hi, just wondering if there is a device or circuit that will solve my problem?

Problem:
I have a fish tank filter/pump that needs to be primed (filled with water) so that it will continue to circulate the water. However, when the power flickers or goes out and then comes back on, it has lost its water and no longer circulates the water but the pump keeps going... burning it out. Aside from a UPS that only lasts a few hours,

Is there a device or circuit that will NOT allow my filter pump to come back on after a power flicker or loss?

Jen.
:confused:

oh, a picture is worth 1000 words right?

be careful when you're working with AC power.

Attachments

• latching.png
    latching.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 163
Buy a better fish pump? The one's we have for our tanks will dry prime as long as the water level in the tank is normal and the filter isn't clogged. They're driven via an issolated induction motor and it's not possible for them to burn out even if the impeller is completly locked, and these are cheap pumps. You might be talking about a mucher larger tank? If this is really a problem you'll need to find a different pump design such as one that will self prime and can dry run indefinitly. They're generally more expensive than basic pumps but will last effectivly a lifetime.

I'm thinkin' check valves at the ends of the line, but inside the length of what the pump considers primable head.

Don't plug it into the UPS, then it stays off during a power failure, but has held prime to allow a restart when the power returns.

This is used with some sump pump systems, where a loss of prime could result in no pump, an possible flooding.

1. Use No voltage release switch such as CA25X from Kraus & Naimer.

2. Place your water pump below the water level so that the pump will be always filled with water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back