Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulsed collector current 4n33 optoisolator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The continuous collector current of a 4n33 is 150ma, If I vary the duty cycle to 50% can I double the current to 300ma?

The application I have in mind is posted below.

Attachments

• SuperMUX.png
    SuperMUX.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
150 is the absolute max. I try to avoid designing to the maximum. also with Vsat at 1V, 300 mA at 50% duty cycle, you will see 150mW dissipation. This is the spec'd max also. I'd avoid it.

why use an opto? you aren't getting isolation. why not just use a couple of transistors?

unless there are more optos that aren't shown, you are only getting isolation on the 2 CA pins and none of the others. To me, isolation isn't a percentage thing - either you have it or you don.t. also, the power supply needs to be isolated.

when I design isolated circuits, I create a "dmz" that has no electrical connections across it. including the power supply.

Last edited:
You need driver transistors.

The optos could drive two PNP transistors which would drive the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back