Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse timer type circuit help........

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninewgt

I have a stepper driver, a 201 Gecko Drive(www.geckodrive.com) I need a simple and accurate way to send pulses to the gecko to run a stepper motor. It needs to be an accurate 'clock' though as its to drive a telescope..... I also need it adjustable so I can tweak and perfect the drive speed...... As far as frequency goes ....... Im not sure on that either....
I appreciate any input.........

Thanks guys :D

ninewgt said:
I have a stepper driver, a 201 Gecko Drive(www.geckodrive.com) I need a simple and accurate way to send pulses to the gecko to run a stepper motor. It needs to be an accurate 'clock' though as its to drive a telescope..... I also need it adjustable so I can tweak and perfect the drive speed...... Anyone help ?

Thanks guys :D

Probably the best way is to use a micro-controller, a PIC would do the job easily. It could give crystal controlled accuracy, and be adjustable from microseconds to days (or even longer). It would also give a single chip solution.

What sort of pulse range do you need?, and how high a resolution do you require?.

If accuracy isn't too important, you could use a couple of 555 timers, or to give crystal controlled accuracy use dividers to divide down from a crystal oscillator - but it requires far more parts than a PIC solution, and with far less versatility.

I need about 80Hz to 120Hz and a seperate 'throw' to about 800 Hz for 'rewind

I found a circuit that will work without using my current driver - its a complete driver look at :
http://www.astronomyboy.com/barndoor/electronics.html

Problem is the chip is no longer available....... also -However -f you read his explanation - Thats EXACTELY what I want to do with my unit only I already have the stepper driver - just no way to send it pulses......

Thanks

ninewgt said:
I need about 80Hz to 120Hz and a seperate 'throw' to about 800 Hz for 'rewind

I found a circuit that will work without using my current driver - its a complete driver look at :
http://www.astronomyboy.com/barndoor/electronics.html

Problem is the chip is no longer available....... also -However -f you read his explanation - Thats EXACTELY what I want to do with my unit only I already have the stepper driver - just no way to send it pulses......

As you already have the stepper motor section, just use the oscillator and divider from the article to feed your existing stepper driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back