Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pulse generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

patroclus

I built a simple pulse generator with a 4MHz crystal and a 4060 counter, to get several output frequencies. I checked them in my scope, and I get quite good pulses, with less than 200ns rise and fall times.

But there're other ways to do it, without crystals.

**broken link removed**

or

**broken link removed**

Do they have any advantage?
Maybe you can change frequency more easily with a potenciometer, while the crystals only lets you some power of 2 divided frequencies. But the crystal is more accurate, isn't it?

Thank you

Yes, the crystal is FAR more accurate. The best solution though is a PLL using a crystal as the reference, so you can switch frequencies easily and accurately.

The simple oscillators have a different frequency with each IC and the frequency changes when the supply voltage changes.

The links I posted, show 2 approaches with IC that do not depend on supply voltage, only R and C.

Yes, PLL is good, but seem much more complex.

patroclus said:
The links I posted, show 2 approaches with IC that do not depend on supply voltage, only R and C.
No.
The links (performance) show a big change in frequency when the supply voltage is changed.
The datasheets for the ICs show that each one is very different (threshold voltage) which affects the frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back